• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

833 Issues

petieg383

Local time
12:36 AM
Reaction score
So I've had my 70 RR for a few years. Over the past year or so I've noticed the trans is acting up. It started to pop out of 3rd gear when decelerating. Then it started to do it in 2nd gear. I get under and look at it and notice it's only being held into the bellhousing by the top 2 bolts. Ungood. So I put new bolts into the bottom and tighten the tops ones. It seems a lot better at that point. Now over the past few months it starts popping out of 3rd again when letting off the gas. When accelerating, it never comes out of any gear. Back in December it starts to make some ugly noises when driving it and when it's sitting in the garage. When I push in the clutch, the noises go away. So I'm trying to pull the trans now to inspect and possibly refresh it. Again when driving it's been fine up until a few weeks ago so I'm hoping whatever it is, it's minor.

Here's the issue:

Got the following items unbolted: Driveshaft, crossmember, speedo cable, clutch cover is off as well just in case. I took out the 4 bolts that go into the bellhousing, which by the way were way loose again.

Trying to pull the trans out it seems like it's binding on the clutch fork/throwout bearing. I also think I need to remove the shifter to slide it back a little further, but it really seems like it's bound up on the fork & bearing.

Is there something inside there that I'm supposed to remove? What am I missing here? I'll try and get a pic up on here a little later on.

Push in the clutch and the noise goes away or changes usually points to a bad throw out bearing. Remove the shifter and linkage and if everything else is off the trans, once the 4 transmission bolts are out of the bell, it should come out. Keep the trans as level as possible to make removal a easier.

Maybe binding on the pilot bearing. Make sure you pull it out straight. Some guide pins threaded into the bell housing may help keep it straight for you. Then, too, if the bushing is binding you may need to twist (no guide pins, and trans in gear) while pulling out.

Maybe binding on the pilot bearing. Make sure you pull it out straight. Some guide pins threaded into the bell housing may help keep it straight for you. Then, too, if the bushing is binding you may need to twist (no guide pins, and trans in gear) while pulling out.

Guide pins are great help when removing or installing the trans and help to insure that you don't bend the clutch disc. You can make pins by getting two 7/16" X 8" long coarse thread hardware bolts (grade 5, 3 lines on the head) and cutting the heads off. Slot the cut-off end with a hack saw so you can use a screw driver to remove them if it becomes necessary. Good luck...

Guide pins are great help when removing or installing the trans and help to insure that you don't bend the clutch disc. You can make pins by getting two 7/16" X 8" long coarse thread hardware bolts (grade 5, 3 lines on the head) and cutting the heads off. Slot the cut-off end with a hack saw so you can use a screw driver to remove them if it becomes necessary. Good luck...

This is a very good idea. Also can you see up in the clutch area with the lower clutch/bellhousing cover removed to see if the throwout bearing is stuck on the front trans retainer ? Maybe use a big screwdriver and try prying the throwout bearing and see if its holding it up. I dont think its stuck on the pilot bearing because if it was you would have usually have had alot of shifting problems since it would have kept the trans input shaft spinning some with the clutch pushed in if the trans input shaft was dragging on the pilot bearing. Ron

Push in the clutch and the noise goes away or changes usually points to a bad throw out bearing. Remove the shifter and linkage and if everything else is off the trans, once the 4 transmission bolts are out of the bell, it should come out. Keep the trans as level as possible to make removal a easier.

I would expect the gearbox front bearing being shot is more likely with these symptoms. With foot off the clutch, if free play is correct, the throwout bearing should not even be touching the pressure plate.

I would expect the gearbox front bearing being shot is more likely with these symptoms. With foot off the clutch, if free play is correct, the throwout bearing should not even be touching the pressure plate.

X2. Make and use the guides, and there can be wear on the input at the disc hub, or it could be stuck in the pilot bushing. Pull harder when using the guides - it should come out. On the loosening bolts - was your engine rebuilt in the past?

That's true but it's not always the case. I guess I should have said the bearing can change sounds as you start pushing on the clutch pedal lightly. Never had a front bearing go bad on any of mine but have had a rear bearing go out but that won't talk to ya until you start to get under way. He'll find out once the box is out and can inspect everything.

Basically I needed to remove the shifter and it slide right back with no trouble. It was that extra inch or so that I needed. Now it's time to pull it apart and inspect it. Once I know more I'll post any info I have.

Thanks again on the advice, and the guides seem like a great idea for re-installing it too.

Auto Transport Service
Back