• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

833 reverse nut.

bee71

Local time
10:14 AM
Reaction score
Guys,
My 833 is leaking again after a rebuild at the reverse lever tang. I found the nut not even finger tight on the threads. How tight should that nut be to engage reverse?

Everything has to be removed from a 833 to address the reverse leaver seal. Sometimes rebuilders shortcut this if there's no obvious leaks there. Unless you saw it done or rebuilt it yourself, you don't know.

The nut can be as tight as you dare - but the FSM calls for 18 foot/pounds. The lever bottoms on a shoulder so tightening the nut has no effect on binding the shaft. The seal is made with an o-ring. Try tightening the nut up - you may get lucky !

My opinion , but, I don't think that tightening that up will stop the leak. I have the same problem on my Hemi 4-speed, trans has gotta come apart, cluster gear out to get to that reverse shaft and o-ring.

This is the video I watched to rebuild a A833 trans. He is methodic and appears to have done this so many times, he makes it look easy. Scary stuff.
I agree with Bird 426. Sorry.

I don't know if this will work or not, but for around $10 you can try taking a little fluid out & adding a product called "Seal Lube". They sell it at Napa. I have seen it stop a power steering leaking seal that was actually squirting out! I do not know if there is a compatibility issue or not. But, if it works, then it would prevent having to remove the trans & all the guts. It causes the seal to swell, and I have used it a couple times over the years for various leaks. The manufacturer claims that is does not change the viscosity. Hell, maybe it might just slow it down at least to buy you a little time. Good luck! :p

Lucas Oil make the same ****. Not sure about using it in a standard trans AND its only a bandaid - generally you put it in a leaky tranny then sell the car !!

Auto Transport Service
Back