• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

904 Transmission pump bushing clearance

JB47

Local time
7:53 AM
Reaction score
Looking for some tech help, the car is a 1973 Plymouth Satellite Wagon 318/904

On the transmission pump bushing I feel my 904 has too much play between the snout and bushing (dims below)

The snout diameter is 1.4925 in
The busing inside diameter is 1.5010

Does this sound normal?

There is no obvious wear on the bushing or the snout only the smooth mark where it runs

The only reason for inveigating there is a small vibration at and just off idle and it feels torque converter related as every other rotating part has been checked.

Can the converters wear out I ternary kver time as as this car is very original and wouldn't suprise me if it is the factory converter in there still as everything else is original

For those playing at home that is .0085.

trans rebuild books don’t have clearance specifications for these bushings. They say to look for uneven wear, shiny spots or grooves and gouges.

If any question just put in a new bushing and seal since it is already apart.

I doubt this is the problem. How about tune up parts: spark plug wires, plugs, carb problems. Or uneven compression test results, a low cylinder?

There was a lower cylinder or two but not dead just on the lowest recommended in the service manual, results below and these were taken cold with throttle blades open

1- 140
3- 140
5- 140
7- 140

2- 120
4- 140
6- 95
8- 145

Since then I have gone through the motor and rebuilt it and found the compression loss was bad valve sealing but yet to fire up again as I wanted to check this trans issue before putting the motor back in.

The only other part of my thinking was when in reverse mainly but also in 1st with the foot on the brake on idle it has a rubbing/wear sound. The trans is in good shape internally ie bands, clutch ect as that was checked but didn't think much of the front bushing until the vibration continued (in hindsight I'd have changed it but it looked ok )

Auto Transport Service
Back