• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

!967 B body Air Cleaners.

440 4 speed

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:37 AM
Reaction score
In 2016 we drove our 67 L 4spd to Mopars in the park and on to the 50th in Detroit. Some have read my posts about the trip I believe.
I parked not too far away from an original owner who had a 67 L R/T. He was stationed in San Diego and ordered the car. I didn’t look at the build date. I said why do you have an un silenced air cleaner.
He asked the dealer about it. He was given two answers .
! They ran out of dual snorkels.
2 This is what they had and it would meet California specks.
I am not near my car now, but I think that might be a 51/4 base. They came on all 440’s and were 750 AFB’s.
Also believe that all 440’s had oval snouts.
Respectively submitted.

Last edited:
My 67 GTX came with an un silenced air cleaner. Original owner bought it in MO.

On another thread, I mentioned that I had a copy of Engineering papers detailing changes and specs of the 440 HP engine that would be available in the new R/T, GTX, and some C-bodies. In that thread, I mentioned that 4-speed cars were to get the unsilenced air cleaner, while cars with an automatic transmission would get the dual snorkel silenced air cleaner. Upon getting these papers out, and re-reading them last night, I found that statement to be wrong. The Engineering papers actually said that all 440 HP motors (Magnum, Super Commando) installed in B-bodies would receive the non-snorkel unsilenced air cleaner, regardless of what transmission it had. The 440 HP motors (Magnum, Super Commando, TNT) installed in C-bodies would all have the dual snorkel silenced air cleaner. In actual practice, I think that whatever was in the parts box on a particular day got installed on B-bodies. I do not believe that the non-snorkel air cleaner was ever an option that could be checked off on an order sheet. I have talked to original owners of both R/T's and GTX's over the years that said their cars came with the unsilenced air cleaner. I believe it was just the luck of the draw. I bought my '67 R/T with no powertrain, so I do not know what air cleaner it originally came with. I installed the unsilenced air cleaner on my R/T because I thought it looked "cool". As an aside, the large base of the silenced air cleaner can be trimmed outside of the air filter ledge, turning a dual snorkel air cleaner into unsilenced.
These papers also indicated that the standard rear end in R/T and GTX with automatic transmission was an 8 3/4" , equipped with 2.94 gears. 3.23 gears and Suregrip were optional. On 4-speed cars, Suregrip was mandatory, regardless of rearend; 9 3/4" ( B-body) or 9 1/4" ( C-body).

Last edited:
My all original 67 R/T survivor purchased from the original owner in 1984 has the dual snorkel air cleaner. The red version 440 Magnum pie plate is all peeled up but I still have it. I'm just now getting it ready to roll after 26 years of slumber in the garage. The brakes are rebuilt, gas tank is new and I'm preparing another 4327s AFB before I rebuild the original. After I get it started and rolling I'll get to whatever else needs attention. 20230107_120847.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back