• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

a/c heater box removal

ord27

Local time
10:44 PM
Reaction score
I'm sure that there is a thread somewhere, so I am sorry about posting a new one.

I am waiting on UPS to deliver a shop manual, so in the mean time.....

How exactly do you remove a heater/ac box?

I have the center vent, radio and glove box out. I have removed the switches.

What's next?

1970 Coronet

thanks

I think this might be what you need. From last few pages of the FSM (which you may be able to get online by searching)
1.JPG
2a.JPG

I removed and overhauled the heater/acbox in my 70 Coronet last year.
You need to unhook the vacuum lines from climate control switches/heater hose from firewall/ ac lines from firewall/5 bolts protrude through firewall into engine bay you will need to remove nuts from all 5/ unhook all ducting from heater box, this includes two lines going up to defrost, one duct going over across steering wheel and and the large hose on the passenger side. There is also a hanger support bracket under the dash connecting the box to the dash frame.
Having The engine out helped immensely as did having the seats and center console removed.
I would include some photos but my smartphone is being stupid right now.

You need to unhook the vacuum lines from climate control switches/heater hose from firewall/ ac lines from firewall/5 bolts protrude through firewall into engine bay you will need to remove nuts from all 5/ unhook all ducting from heater box, this includes two lines going up to defrost, one duct going over across steering wheel and and the large hose on the passenger side. There is also a hanger support bracket under the dash connecting the box to the dash frame.
Having The engine out helped immensely as did having the seats and center console removed.
thanks. How was the overhaul? I'm debating on sending it off to be done, or doing it myself.
In north Texas, a/c is a necessity.

thanks. How was the overhaul? I'm debating on sending it off to be done, or doing it myself.
In north Texas, a/c is a necessity.
Take LOTS of pictures and reuse as many if the old parts as you feel worthy. Newer parts from China aren't as good. The heater core and ac evaporator should be taken to a radiator shop and cleaned, pressure tested and repaired if necessary.

https://www.detroitmuscletechnologies.com/
This is where you find the overhaul kit

These are helpful threads
http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopar...net-500-project.114333/page-22#post-910578933

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/heater-box-do-i-dare-chance.125357/

If you decide you need a good used heater/ac box for parts this is where I got mine
http://www.stevesparts.com/

BeeKool Pointed to my thread. Honestly if you don’t have the engine, interior and dash out the R&R will be the hardest part. Like he said take lots of photos. I would get the heater recored by GlenRay and I reused my evaporator after testing it in the garbage can of water (see the thread).

Test the actuators with a vacuum pump and replace them if they leak.

BeeKool Pointed to my thread. Honestly if you don’t have the engine, interior and dash out the R&R will be the hardest part. Like he said take lots of photos. I would get the heater recored by GlenRay and I reused my evaporator after testing it in the garbage can of water (see the thread).

Test the actuators with a vacuum pump and replace them if they leak.
Yours is the go-to thread. Helped me out bunches.
:thumbsup:

It was mentioned to me that the standard heater box could be rebuild by anyone with the DMT kit, but advised to have the A/C box done by a shop. Any adage on that from someone who has I am assuming....rebuilt the A/C version.

What is a 1970 Charger Heater/A-C box worth? I am talking one that needs to be restored but is complete?

What is a 1970 Charger Heater/A-C box worth? I am talking one that needs to be restored but is complete?
I bought a complete a/c model in good shape for $275 shipped. It came from a 68 Satty but I don't think there's any difference

It was mentioned to me that the standard heater box could be rebuild by anyone with the DMT kit, but advised to have the A/C box done by a shop. Any adage on that from someone who has I am assuming....rebuilt the A/C version.
I have and also Jim K has.
His build thread has some good info.

It is not really all that hard (though I was clearly flustered in the heat of battle if you read the thread link above!), just take a lot of good photos (and I mean a LOT) and clearly mark the hoses going to the actuators. The manual is impossible to decipher without truly understanding what each actuator does. And I would not spread the work out over months. Pull it down with a lot of photos, clean it paint it and put it back together the next weekend. The linkage at the actuators is a puzzle as well. Lot and lots of pictures.

Auto Transport Service
Back