• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A date which will

33 IMP

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:59 AM
Reaction score
Live, in INFAMY!
Going to commemorate the day by watching Tora Tora Tora again, a far better movie than that "pearl harbor" thing. Another opportunity for me to say THANKYOU to all who have served to protect out country, and the rest of the world.
(So many mistakes on both sides..... but Japan lost that war before 8 a.m. Honolulu time).
I wonder if Kimmel was actually struck by a spent round (I think he was) and if Yamamoto really said "we have awakened a sleeping giant... and filled him with a terrible resolve".)

Edit: according to multiple sources, Kimmel WAS struck by a 50cal MG round, and he DID say it would have been merciful had it killed me. How sad. He knew he was gonna be the scapegoat, even though lack of prep was General Shorts fault. (The army was responsible for security of the base).

Last edited:
It's on tomorrow ? What channel & time ? ..........I've been to the Pearl Harbor memorial a couple times... I found myself very pensive thinking about that day while there. Along with my thought and prayers for those brave souls.

It's on my dvr. We'll see if anybody airs it on December 7th. (You'd think history Channel would.... if they don't find anything at oak island. Boy, has history channel gone in the twa lay)

I wonder how many history teachers will take the time to explain it to the kiddos? It’s truly a very special day, a salute to our hero’s , past , present and future. A Thank you to all who protect and serve.

Midway is also a good one.
I have watched Drachinifel and Montemayor's videos on you tube about the Midway battle. Learned SO many things I didn't know or understand about that battle. Same with both of their vids about Pearl Harbor.

I remember going with my dad to watch Tora Tora Tora in the theaters when it was first released in 1970.

Maybe we should celebrate by dropping another fat boy or 5 on another Asian country. Care to choose one…….

It's on tomorrow ? What channel & time ? ..........I've been to the Pearl Harbor memorial a couple times... I found myself very pensive thinking about that day while there. Along with my thought and prayers for those brave souls.
Looks like lots of war movies from WW2 vintage on TCM today, including John Fords (1943) December 7th, the movie. It starts at 4.30 pm Arizona time.

Maybe we should celebrate by dropping another fat boy or 5 on another Asian country. Care to choose one…….
There was plans is 1958 to do that ,China but it was feared Russia would retaliate but it was in the works .

My apologies to History Channel. Three separate specials about Pearl Harbor this morning. Looks like first and best exonerates Kimmel, and even though congress has cleared him, several presidents have not restored his rank, posthumously.
INCLUDING bidumb, who is quoted by History Channel saying Kimmels scapegoating was the worst miscarriage of military justice. (not a direct quote, but definitely the jist of the quote).

I'd like to share two pages of my father's diary, 12/7 and 12/8 1941. It gives me an idea of the sentiment at the time, as relayed by a 16 year old boy. I transcribed them for those interested.

120741.jpg

120841.jpg

December 7, 1941

I am going to live football, breathe football, and think football and the Wildcats are going undefeated next year.

After we came home we four went to the Kiva to see the Army-Navy game newsreel and also incidentally to see the feature about parachute troops. I’d like to do some parachuting myself. Thrills! The game pictures were great!

Today (Sunday) I read and looked at the reports of yesterday’s game and also the funnies before going to work at 12:30. Nonchalantly, casually I worked all afternoon, ignorant (temporarily) of facts concerning Japan and the United States. This morning those of the slant eyes bombed Honolulu, sank a warship and performed other outrages that climax the tense situation with WAR! It has been reported that our Navy retaliated by sinking the Jap aircraft carrier from which the bombers operated.

I can’t say I feel bad about it all.

December 8, 1941

War has been declared! Today our Congress met and, except for one trivial woman, voted unanimously for WAR against the treacherous, hateful, stinking Japanese. Their stab in our back on the Sabbath without a declared war is enough to send me boiling with white hot rage. At 10:30 all students of GHS (Greeley High School) met in the auditorium to hear FDR’s short address to Congress asking for the declaration. We were a solemn crowd. But while we stood listening to the national anthem I almost burst with pride in my country – a united country which is standing strong against the aggressor and before we finish the slaughter of the Japs they will rue the day they mercilessly bombed Oahu and Pearl Harbor. We’ll make them suffer the destruction they deserve. We’ll kill thousands of them.

These are mad, hateful words appropriate only for time of war but nonetheless necessary for their brutality for isn’t war a brutal thing? I feel the strength of determination flowing through us.

May God help us in our victory.

And, just for fun, a quick excerpt from December 10, 1941

I gave an English demonstration speech on “How to shoot a .45 Colt”. Dad’s govt .45 with the 6 notches in the handle created quite an effect. It sure is a a weapon.

Having routinely traveled throughout the Pacific and Asia in my career in the USAF, I have visited just about every major battlefield of WWII. The theater was extensive, to say the least. If you have never been to Hawaii and Pearl Harbour, try and do so as it is one of the most stirring experiences one can undertake. The tears from the Arizona weeping up to the surface, are still occurring as the oil seeps from the mortally wounded Battle Boat and her oil tanks. The entombment of the 900 souls that perished there, is as real as if they were still present to us all. Midway is another experience as we used to frequent the island routinely to supply the Navy support team there and is now a wildlife sanctuary for the famous Gooney Bird!!! Kwajalein Island, Wake Island, Iwo, The Philippines, Okinawa, and mainland Japan, one can come to understand the scope of that conflict and its amazing recovery and change. I always get the sense that my brothers and sisters who gave up their lives in that war, still resonate their presence in so many ways. Truly a very humbling experience to this very day. I will never forget their sacrifice and devotion to the USA...cr8crshr/Bill:usflag::usflag::usflag:

I wonder how many history teachers will take the time to explain it to the kiddos? It’s truly a very special day, a salute to our hero’s , past , present and future. A Thank you to all who protect and serve.
Growing up (born in 1954) EVERY year there was a headline on the front page reminding of December 7. WWII vets were still young. This slowly went away, and scrolling through numerous articles today, came across nothing. What’s the saying? If we don’t learn from history, we’re apt to repeat it? And all of the teachers now are at least a gen or two younger than I am.

Ask our kids or grandkids if any mention of it was made in class today? I’m afraid I may already know the answer.

What the hell were the Japs thinking?
A country 2/3 the size of California attacks US ???
That is like a guy in a Prius taunting a Road Runner with a Blown 426 HEMI to a race. What the heck, man ??

That is like a guy in a Prius taunting a Road Runner with a Blown 426 HEMI to a race. What the heck, man ??
1701976907384.png

I was going to post about Dec 7 yesterday - which is today for most of you.....like getting in early the same way the Japs did. But then I got busy.

Thought about that enough too. They used the steel we exported to them to build their arsenal. Wired they were, willing-giddy to kill themselves for the Empire. Scary. Nothing was going to stop them – until..

Now we have others like they were – to earn 72 virgins. Wonder if any of them think about what they get after day 72, cuz death lasts a much longer time.

Thought about that enough too. They used the steel we exported to them to build their arsenal. Wired they were, willing-giddy to kill themselves for the Empire. Scary. Nothing was going to stop them – until..

Now we have others like they were – to earn 72 virgins. Wonder if any of them think about what they get after day 72, cuz death lasts a much longer time.
Besides the fact that there’s a reason these women are virgins. Fat, ugly, and bearded as many of them are - a gift for their entrance time in hell. Enjoy for all of eternity.…..

ARE there still such things as history teachers? I thought nothing that happened before Obama was important?

Auto Transport Service
Back