• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A GREAT Tribute to the 1950s

I think if more people just broke out in spontaneous dance, the world would be a better place! LOL

just awesome America at its best.

Watch on a computer, not a phone.

When men were men,
acted like men (now deemed toxic masculinity)
they weren't blatant flaming HOMOs, or metrosexuals
even the dancers 'that were'
or women could define
"the definition of what a real woman actually is"
& you could tell that the women cared about how they looked

man them bras could poke an eye out :poke:

unfortunately the dirty Hippies & Dopers, in the late 60s screwed that all up

Last edited:
women could define
"the definition of what a real woman actually is"
& you could tell that the women cared about how they looked

man them bras could poke an eye out :poke:

unfortunately Hippeis & Dopers in the late 60s screwed that all up
When I met my wife at Penn State in the early '70s, she stood out like a sore thumb among the hippy dippies surrounding us. Old school dressy clothes, hair, make up, heels, always nylons, never bare legs. Reeled me in like that first GTX. She's never let up. Might be part of the reason we're still together after 45 years. The 50s gals had it figured out.

When I was doing my corporate tour, the human resources manager was a class of '59 graduate. (I loved the fact that she still wore Camelot era attire at work.) Elaine put fear in the hearts of all the execs. She was proud of the fact that she had walked a mile in high heels every day to her office and back to her apartment when she started her first job. I'll never forget her admonishing a younger colleague how women of the 90s weren't nearly as tough, emphasizing that in her early days "comfort was not an option."

The basic idea of the American Dream is that anyone who works hard will be rewarded. You start off poor, you bust your *** and in thirty years you’re CEO of everything. The fifties took that dream and ran with it, a child born in the USA post-WWII was more than twice as likely to graduate as one born literally anywhere else in the Western world . This trend continued right through to the early seventies, at which point neo-liberalism reared its head. Skip forward to now and we’ve gone from being the best to the worst. According to economist Robert Reich, forty-two percent of children now born into poverty will stay there, a higher percentage than in countries that still have kings. By 2013 the American Dream had nothing to do with hard work—and everything to do with who your parents were.

With all that being said, the one big problem we have today is, we love fear and preference for the bad. Our modern news is 24/7 reporting about bad and scary things. Violence is always newsworthy, peace is not. No one wants to hear 24/7 that someone was nice to someone. Sure, niceness can be tossed in at the end of a segment on the latest school shooting by an angry gunman, but the real news is the latest school shooting was by an angry gunman. We tend to think that all the bad news is the whole truth. But it’s only a small part of truth. The country has changed and most of us think that the new generation is destroying our way of life and to be honest, I feel that way also. I remember my father looking at my long hair, the music we listened to and thought the world was ending, just like we do, now! Is life the same, better, worse or are we doing time till it stops in a few years at the rate we're going. I don't care, at this moment in time, I'm living the dream, if you leave fear at the door....

Is life the same, better, worse or are we doing time till it stops in a few years at the rate we're going. I don't care, at this moment in time, I'm living the dream, if you leave fear at the door....
You couldn't have said it better. The 50s, like any era, had pluses and minuses, but there was a mood of optimism, which folks are nostalgic for (me included.) Glass half full, glass half empty. After years of working as a corporate mouth piece, I'm all to aware of the effects of media spin on most people, and amount of the junk the average person has to process has gone up exponentially since we were kids. So as you stated, folks tend to be fearful, rather optimistic, and make life choices accordingly. It's impacted the political process, on both sides of the aisle.

Ironically, my adoptive family in the 50s was fearful rather than optimistic, and they especially wanted me to be "safe." That included seeking a secure public sector job, and staying away from the business world. My 1960s rebellion was to assume 1950s financial optimism, and work my tail off to make money in the private sector. You've already read how my GTX was a catalyst in that process. I was fortunate to have my dad with me long enough to see the results, and tell me that his greatest regret was selling me short, even though he did it to try to keep me from getting hurt.

You couldn't have said it better. The 50s, like any era, had pluses and minuses, but there was a mood of optimism, which folks are nostalgic for (me included.) Glass half full, glass half empty. After years of working as a corporate mouth piece, I'm all to aware of the effects of media spin on most people, and amount of the junk the average person has to process has gone up exponentially since we were kids. So as you stated, folks tend to be fearful, rather optimistic, and make life choices accordingly. It's impacted the political process, on both sides of the aisle.

Ironically, my adoptive family in the 50s was fearful rather than optimistic, and they especially wanted me to be "safe." That included seeking a secure public sector job, and staying away from the business world. My 1960s rebellion was to assume 1950s financial optimism, and work my tail off to make money in the private sector. You've already read how my GTX was a catalyst in that process. I was fortunate to have my dad with me long enough to see the results, and tell me that his greatest regret was selling me short, even though he did it to try to keep me from getting hurt.
You have a life you should be proud of, you're a good man!!

Auto Transport Service
Back