• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A true survivor. Some help needed.

Looks like manual brakes to me. But I don't really have a problem with a dual master. I suggest changing them whenever I see one they are a safety hazard.

I'm not positive, but in other pictures of 66 Hemi cars, the fuel line looks like it should come up behind the top radiator hose.

I'm not positive, but in other pictures of 66 Hemi cars, the fuel line looks like it should come up behind the top radiator hose.

I agree and the bends in the fuel line running up from the fuel pump just don't look as defined and crisp as the OEM parts usually have. Looks very much like it was bent by hand.

And as Don Frelier mentioned that sure looks like manual brakes to me, and converted to a dual circuit system as opposed to the single pot brake system it most likely came with.

Looks like manual brakes to me. But I don't really have a problem with a dual master. I suggest changing them whenever I see one they are a safety hazard.
I agree with Don. Conversion to a dual master cylinder would not be a deal breaker for me besides you could change it back to a single master cylinder easily.

Hi all. Thanks for the comments. I will need to take them back to the owner, as I was told this car had power brakes. Also need to ask about the fuel lines. I am glad I came here since you all have the knowledge-base I am lacking and know what should and should not be. Much appreciated information.

Hi all...a little update. I just spoke to the owner of this 1966 Charger. It turns out that he sent the wrong picture. That picture I posted is from a 1969 Hemi Charger that he also owns. So I presume that might explain some of the differences. He is going to go back and send me the right picture of the engine for the 66. I also asked about the radio and he was going to check into that as well. This guy has a lot of cars...a lot of cars! He does have a certification from Sotheby's on the 1966 verifying its authenticity (as he does for his other unique muscle cars, and he has a lot of cars...did I write that already?...lol) so I am feeling pretty good right now. Again, thanks for all your help and comments. I am learning a great deal from you all.

One other important item I forgot to mention that was told to me last night by the current owner...the provenance on this 1966 Charger is in fact extra special. The original owner bought it from none other than the famous Mr. Norm! I will post the picture of.the sticker once it is sent to me. But that is pretty cool stuff, for sure.

My understanding is that all Air Conditioned Cars received "tinted windows" to assist in cooling. All A/C cars I've seen have tint all the way around. I've not seen a tinted car without A/C. I'm not saying they aren't out there. It doesn't seem like the tint (without A/C) was a popular option.
Per my earlier post regarding a dealer installed am-fm radio in a 1967 Valiant 100, my dad did a similar oddball deal in 1973, ordering a fully loaded Dodge Dart with factory air-conditioning, but twisting the dealer's arm to get it without tinted glass. Dad was a fan of Ralph Nader, who decried tinted glass in his book "Unsafe at Any Speed". Tinted glass was a "delete option" with a/c back then - came that way unless the the customer said "delete". The dealer explained it to us when Dad ordered the car.

Ralph Nader...I had repressed all thoughts about him...
He famously never owned a car, but bought the Rover 2000 when it came here from the UK. First sedan designed around crash survival principles. For instace, the steering linkage runs along the firewall, so that no force is transmitted directly to your sternum in a crash. I plan to modify my 63 Fury to include some energy absorption in the steering column. I already have discs and the look-alike dual MC for the car.
As i remember, many smog and safety items, such as dual brake systems, became mandatory Jan 68, along with the 50,000 mile no-tune up requirement. When I took my Lotus Elan to the works for maintenance, drivers were endlessly circling the old, triangular airfield runways to accumulate...50,000 miles! For smog compliance, US cars had FI long before European. Some countries with legacy tax rates based on horsepower even taxed FI higher, as it gave more power!

Hi folks. I have a unique opportunity to buy what appears to be a "true survivor" and I'd like some input. I have access to a 1966 Dodge Charger with the original (all numbers matching) 426 hemi. The car has 16K on the clock with all the documentation, including dealer sticker. It is an auto with power brakes and power steering. It was a one owner car that was acquired as part of a consignment purchase (the owner died and his family decided to sell his collection...my understanding is it was/is quite a collection...lol) and it "does not fit" with the purchaser's own collection so he is willing to part with it. The paint is original (mint condition and it is black :) ) and it was kept in a climate controlled environment by the original owner. There are just a few concerns. One is the radio...it is apparently an AM/FM and I know the 66 and 67 Chargers came with only an AM radio. I did some research (Google is my friend) and I get some conflicting stories as to what the origins of this radio might be. I have not yet seen the dealer sticker but it is possible that the AM/FM was added by the dealer but from what car in 1966 was it transplanted? As they say, the devil is in the details. I am told the windows are tinted. Again, I'm not sure if tinting was an option from the factory back then and if not, then would it have been possible that again this was a dealer added option? Also, it has power windows. Is that possible? I am also told it has the "optional wheels" and I have no clue what that means. I am awaiting pictures of the car and all the documentation. So, what do you all think? Any answers that might be provided would be welcome.
According to my 1966 factory parts catalogue there is an AM-FM radio listed for a 66 Charger. The part number is 2661222 and the model number on the radio should be 370

According to my 1966 factory parts catalogue there is an AM-FM radio listed for a 66 Charger. The part number is 2661222 and the model number on the radio should be 370

That would be a Coronet radio the Charger would have used either the 233 or 381 radio although I’m sure that the dealer could have installed the 370 and have gotten it to work.

17ACCDED-A4CD-461D-A875-44EEA202C70B.jpeg

I was looking at this same page in my books. Wondering if the 381 radio is AM/FM since it is listed as "Deluxe" like the 370. ???

There were no special wheels in 66 as stated above, but there were at least two different wheel covers, according to my parts book. The spinner type and a simulated mag type.
I think you could get larger wider wheels with the Hemi. We call them Cop Wheels. I know 66 Coronet police cars had them. And yes the radio was EL in 66 . That changed in 67. EL is cool when its working but OMG when it isn't its a pain to fix :)

1966 hemi cars had 14 x 5 1/2 plain steel wheels, with wheel covers or hub caps. They would be H.D versions, as were the cop wheels of the era. The six slot cop wheels were 15 x 7, and were introduced in the late 70s.

Thanks for all the comments, folks. The current owner has the original AM radio, along with the wheel covers and a copy of a receipt for a Mr. Norm "Super tune" for this car.

and with ma mopar if it is a late build and they ran out of radios they would probably use a 67 same as master cylinder imo

The 2 watt "Music Master" was it for 1966, and an option at that. This is why it is an option code on inner fender tags.

A radio is listed on the fender tag as a hole needed to be punched in the fender for the antenna.

My understanding is that all Air Conditioned Cars received "tinted windows" to assist in cooling. All A/C cars I've seen have tint all the way around. I've not seen a tinted car without A/C. I'm not saying they aren't out there. It doesn't seem like the tint (without A/C) was a popular option.

Tinted windows were recommended with A/C and, generally, a separate option. One can find numerous examples of cars with tinted windows and no A/C. Cars where A/C was not an option (i.e. Hemis) can have tinted windows.
66_WP23_73_5_ZZ1_Have_BS_tag.jpg

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back