• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Veterans day gift.

Ghostrider 67

Jack Stand Racer #6..and proud of it!
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:59 AM
Reaction score
Just so you know:

·
I never knew.. DID YOU?
If any of you have ever been to a military funeral in which taps was played; this brings out a new meaning of it.
Here is something Every American should know.
We in the United States have all heard the haunting song, 'Taps...' It's the song that gives us the lump in our throats and usually tears in our eyes.
But, do you know the story behind the song? If not, I think you will be interested to find out about its humble beginnings.
Reportedly, it all began in 1862 during the Civil War, when Union Army Captain Robert Elli was with his men near Harrison's Landing in Virginia . The Confederate Army was on the other side of the narrow strip of land.
During the night, Captain Elli heard the moans of a soldier who lay severely wounded on the field. Not knowing if it was a Union or Confederate soldier, the Captain decided to risk his life and bring the stricken man back for medical attention. Crawling on his stomach through the gunfire, the Captain reached the stricken soldier and began pulling him toward his encampment..
When the Captain finally reached his own lines, he discovered it was actually a Confederate soldier, but the soldier was dead.
The Captain lit a lantern and suddenly caught his breath and went numb with shock. In the dim light, he saw the face of the soldier. It was his own son. The boy had been studying music in the South when the war broke out. Without telling his father, the boy enlisted in the Confederate Army.
The following morning, heartbroken, the father asked permission of his superiors to give his son a full military burial, despite his enemy status. His request was only partially granted.
The Captain had asked if he could have a group of Army band members play a funeral dirge for his son at the funeral.
The request was turned down since the soldier was a Confederate.
But, out of respect for the father, they did say they could give him only one musician.
The Captain chose a bugler. He asked the bugler to play a series of musical notes he had found on a piece of paper in the pocket of the dead youth's uniform.
This wish was granted.
The haunting melody, we now know as 'Taps' used at military funerals was born.
The words are:
Day is done.
Gone the sun.
From the lakes
From the hills.
From the sky.
All is well.
Safely rest.
God is nigh.
Fading light.
Dims the sight.
And a star.
Gems the sky.
Gleaming bright.
From afar.
Drawing nigh.
Falls the night.
Thanks and praise.
For our days.
Neath the sun
Neath the stars.
Neath the sky
As we go.
This we know.
God is nigh
I too have felt the chills while listening to 'Taps' but I have never seen all the words to the song until now. I didn't even know there was more than one verse. I also never knew the story behind the song and I didn't know if you had either so I thought I'd pass it along.
I now have an even deeper respect for the song than I did before.
Remember Those Lost and Harmed While Serving Their Country.
Also Remember Those Who Have Served And Returned; and for those presently serving in the Armed Forces.

Ghost.

I'm ashamed to admit I had no idea that was even the name of the song, let alone it had words to it. So much is not being passed onto the next generation, case in point. No doubt only adding to the disrespect of our nation's history and service men and women. Thank you for sharing. I'll be certain my own children know this before the end of this weekend. And my wife.

I'm ashamed to admit I had no idea that was even the name of the song, let alone it had words to it. So much is not being passed onto the next generation, case in point. No doubt only adding to the disrespect of our nation's history and service men and women. Thank you for sharing. I'll be certain my own children know this before the end of this weekend. And my wife.
X2, well said, I'm guilty also!! That is an incredible story I will NEVER forget!! You're one of my heroes!

As a member of the South Carolina Honor Guard, I was told this. I had forgotten until I saw it today on FB.

Thanks

6D1E5DDE-83F7-44C6-9B65-3427591A6219.jpeg

We used to end every boy scout meeting with Taps. So that's really all it reminds me of. Now "Amazing Grace" - played by a piper, there's a tune that brings tears to my eyes!

I knew the words. I knew that there's was another verse but didn't know the words. And I didn't know the story behind it.
Thank You Sir!

I got to read a deleted comment before it was deleted, and I agree with it. I cut & pasted post #1 on that farcebook thing, and about 10 minutes later came back saying it's fake news. I'll just take it with a grain of salt, it's a nice feel-good story either way!

There's a lot of controversy about the original lyrics. And also about the number of stanzas...

It was the story about it that they say is fake, I don't know about the lyric's controversy.

Six male members of my immediate family served. I, the lone son that did not. I chose college in the autumn of 1976 a bit more than a year after the fall of South Vietnam in April 1975. None of my friends or those that I knew served. We were on the back end of the war and after the draft. I had seriously considered following the other members of the family and enlisting until my older brother came home to the US after having unfortunately lost his mind somewhere in the jungles of Vietnam. He suffered like no man I've ever known until an early death at barely 40 years old.

He and I were quite close and I spent a great deal of time with him after he came home and did everything I could every day I could, to in some way, in whatever way, do something to try and ease his suffering. It was a yeoman's task and not for the faint of heart that I did out of my deep love for him - only always wishing I could do more. He was extremely proud of his service and never once said a negative word about the military or his tour. Then that one day I got the voicemail from my mom asking only that I call home as soon as I was able. It's that call you get where you know one of us has died. I went in a room sat down and said a simple prayer to the Lord that it be my brother Mark that he had taken home at last. I then called and found that to be the case. I don't recall if I even shed a tear - for me I was at complete and immediate peace and glad that he who had suffered so greatly for some 20 years was finally at rest and home where he belonged to suffer no more.

That has had a life long impact and impression on me. Even though we have a family of Veterans - whenever this day rolls around, I see someone in uniform or any veteran anywhere - it is he whom I think of and the tears I didn't shed the day he passed have a thousand time welled up in my eyes with never weakening emotions.

There's no bottom to the depth of appreciation and respect I have for the men and women who have served and are serving our nation. It also grieves me deeply what's going on across the country today and how little the young ones know or will ever know about what the sacrifices of those that have and are serving have meant to every facet of our lives. And lastly what that may mean for the future. I say with great emphasize God Bless every person in this country that's ever put on the uniform in service of the United Stares. There are many, many millions of us that will never ever forget.

Six male members of my immediate family served. I, the lone son that did not. I chose college in the autumn of 1976 a bit more than a year after the fall of South Vietnam in April 1975. None of my friends or those that I knew served. We were on the back end of the war and after the draft. I had seriously considered following the other members of the family and enlisting until my older brother came home to the US after having unfortunately lost his mind somewhere in the jungles of Vietnam. He suffered like no man I've ever known until an early death at barely 40 years old.

He and I were quite close and I spent a great deal of time with him after he came home and did everything I could every day I could, to in some way, in whatever way, do something to try and ease his suffering. It was a yeoman's task and not for the faint of heart that I did out of my deep love for him - only always wishing I could do more. He was extremely proud of his service and never once said a negative word about the military or his tour. Then that one day I got the voicemail from my mom asking only that I call home as soon as I was able. It's that call you get where you know one of us has died. I went in a room sat down and said a simple prayer to the Lord that it be my brother Mark that he had taken home at last. I then called and found that to be the case. I don't recall if I even shed a tear - for me I was at complete and immediate peace and glad that he who had suffered so greatly for some 20 years was finally at rest and home where he belonged to suffer no more.

That has had a life long impact and impression on me. Even though we have a family of Veterans - whenever this day rolls around, I see someone in uniform or any veteran anywhere - it is he whom I think of and the tears I didn't shed the day he passed have a thousand time welled up in my eyes with never weakening emotions.

There's no bottom to the depth of appreciation and respect I have for the men and women who have served and are serving our nation. It also grieves me deeply what's going on across the country today and how little the young ones know or will ever know about what the sacrifices of those that have and are serving have meant to every facet of our lives. And lastly what that may mean for the future. I say with great emphasize God Bless every person in this country that's ever put on the uniform in service of the United Stares. There are many, many millions of us that will never ever forget.
I'm sorry that your brother, and by extension you and your loved ones, had to endure such pain. Thanks for your family members service and your brothers sacrifice. Be at peace my brother....be at peace.

Auto Transport Service
Back