• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A word about Scammers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeychgo

Administrator
Staff member
Local time
11:28 AM
Reaction score
Contact seller
Sorry for the intrusion,

Lately, we have seen several people come to FBBO trying to scam our members.

Usually, they will respond to "Wanted to Buy" ads by private message, giving an email address to respond to. They usually have recently joined FBBO and have few or no posts.

If you respond they wont want payment by PayPal, and will say their PayPal account or dormant or something like that. They will almost always ask for a money order for payment.

I cannot advice strong enough that you don't send a money order to someone you don't know well. Sending a money order is like sending cash, there is very little you can do in the event you are scammed. This is why the scammers ask for money orders. They are easy to cash and all but impossible to stop payment on or do anything with if you get scammed. Think of it like leaving $100 bill on a bar and going to the bathroom. There is a good chance it wont be there where you come back and nobody will be able to help you.

I cannot stress strongly enough that you should not use Money Orders unless you know the person your sending the money to fairly well. In my personal opinion, the safest way is to use PayPal for all online transactions unless you know the person your sending money to. Its not perfect, but its the safest in my opinion.

We do what we can to protect FBBO members, but in instances like this we cannot do a lot without your help. If you get a PM from someone like described above, let a staff member know right away and we will look into the member.

Thank you for listening.

Joeychgo, Admin

1710020001226.png

Last edited:
Sorry for the intrusion,

Lately, we have seen several people come to FBBO trying to scam our members.

Usually, they will respond to "Wanted to Buy" ads by private message, giving an email address to respond to. They usually have recently joined FBBO and have few or no posts.

If you respond they wont want payment by PayPal, and will say their PayPal account or dormant or something like that. They will almost always ask for a money order for payment.

I cannot advice strong enough that you don't send a money order to someone you don't know well. Sending a money order is like sending cash, there is very little you can do in the event you are scammed. This is why the scammers ask for money orders. They are easy to cash and all but impossible to stop payment on or do anything with if you get scammed. Think of it like leaving $100 bill on a bar and going to the bathroom. There is a good chance it wont be there where you come back and nobody will be able to help you.

I cannot stress strongly enough that you should not use Money Orders unless you know the person your sending the money to fairly well. In my personal opinion, the safest way is to use PayPal for all online transactions unless you know the person your sending money to. Its not perfect, but its the safest in my opinion.

We do what we can to protect FBBO members, but in instances like this we cannot do a lot without your help. If you get a PM from someone like described above, let a staff member know right away and we will look into the member.

Thank you for listening.

Joeychgo, Admin

Yep, you are right on! Just experienced it on this site. The ole dormant paypal account trick......

If you get a PM from someone like described above, let a staff member know right away and we will look into the member.

Good advice....and please do let us know....we'll do the best we can to protect members from these low-life's.

I sent you a PM, there is a guy who answered my search ad yesterday and claimed to have a friend in Texas, who would have exactly the part I wanted. The user appears here as mg217, and the friend he referred me to appeared as Eliot. I knew that there is something wrong and today an other member experienced something similar with the same user.
Thanks, Wolfgang

I'd like to add ! If your selling stuff and someone wants to pay with money order be careful ! I've seen many fake money orders they look like the real thing and some places will cash it but will come back after you when it doesn't work for them! A guy I know got hit with $600 to pay back and lost his items!

I sent you a PM, there is a guy who answered my search ad yesterday and claimed to have a friend in Texas, who would have exactly the part I wanted. The user appears here as mg217, and the friend he referred me to appeared as Eliot. I knew that there is something wrong and today an other member experienced something similar with the same user.
Thanks, Wolfgang
Had the exact reply to me also and now the message has been suddenly deleted from my inbox, he gave an email he wanted me to contact that Eliot had the exact part I needed he named the part I was looking for sounded a little sketchy so didn’t reply then saw this

Yup, that's what happened to me on here. I placed a wtb add for 2 different items on the same day and got 2 separate pm's from the same guy saying he had a friend who had those exact parts and to email his friend:rolleyes:. He must have pm'ed quite a few people that day as he didn't realize he sent me that message twice, I just told him i would email his "friend" but of course i didn't ,i reported it. Not a lot you can do but be aware that their out there.

Thanks, Wolfgang

Already got him sir. Cranky sorted his hash.

Had the exact reply to me also and now the message has been suddenly deleted from my inbox, he gave an email he wanted me to contact that Eliot had the exact part I needed he named the part I was looking for sounded a little sketchy so didn’t reply then saw this

Me too....knew right away this chaud was not legit. Listed an address in Pilot Point, Tx. Pics off ebay too.....lol, lazy.

Scammer need a swift kick in the head.

Also, when using Paypal, don't use friends and family (zero fee) unless you know the person. You will not be protected under Paypal if you use this payment and get scammed. Regular merchant Paypal is worth the extra few bucks.

Good advice. If you’re looking at a more expensive item.....always get a fresh pic. If they can’t get that, it’s probably a scam

Good work, gentlemen.

Hey guys can someone check out Mr rio2 , a new member that says he has the valve covers I’m looking for and for me to text him or email . When I asked how much for the valve covers he replied $ 445 dollars and I said no thanks, then he contacted me back and ask if I was interested how much would I offer. This was today. I haven’t contacted him after that.

Hey guys can someone check out Mr rio2 , a new member that says he has the valve covers I’m looking for and for me to text him or email . When I asked how much for the valve covers he replied $ 445 dollars and I said no thanks, then he contacted me back and ask if I was interested how much would I offer. This was today. I haven’t contacted him after that.

if you want to pay $445 I'll pull the set off my car... LOL...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back