• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A12

tadjou

Local time
6:41 PM
Reaction score
I have been kicking around the idea of converting my Road Runner to a A12 clone. It' a nom driver. I figure 3-4k in parts/motor to do the conversion. Would that increase the value of the car as a clone?

Depends on whos buying it. To me I would rather have a well done A12 clone then a correct 383 car.

Depends on whos buying it. To me I would rather have a well done A12 clone then a correct 383 car.

A couple of years ago it would have been an investment, but with the declining market the clones have taken a big hit. Right now a real deal car can be bought for around 60K. So putting it into perspective would put a nice clone around 30K or so? How much is a really nice 383 car bringing?
I know of an absolutely gorgous B5 hardtop with all #'s matching for and asking price of 27K.
KID

I think to make a correct clone it will cost more than 3-4K... I'm doing this currently with my Road Runner... costs a bit but I think it is worth it.

The air cleaner will cost 3-4k. Just focus on building yourself a good, safe hot rod and throw a repop hood on it if you want one. :)

Probably about 1800 for intake and carbs, another couple hundred for the fuel lines and brackets, 2500+ for the breather, 500 for a repop hood

You want H wheels and red stripes too?

To make an A12 road runner clone you need the following....

1. Intake/cars/air cleaner
2. Slightly modified engine wiring
3. Fresh Air Hood
4. Rear Hood brackets and pins
5. Dana 60 differential

Gee...owning one how could I forget to list the pins, brackets, and Dana. I must be:tired:

Don't forget repop 054 26-inch radiator $1500, 26-inch core suppoet $325 plus bodywork.....beefy springs.....depending on how much the bug bites you on the details

If you are Building it to Drive, have Fun, and enjoy then build it for that reason. Most people at local car shows just come to look at nice paint, hear loud pipes, see classic muscle cars. Most don't know the difference between a 440 or a 273 let alone B-Body, A-body etc.Build the Car that you want to drive. Personally can't see spending extra Big $$$$ to build a Clone to Drive around.Remember no matter what you do to the car it is STILL a "CLONE" not an Original #s matching car.

Just My thoughts, I'm sure some won't agree

Do it ! I love the A12 cars and if I was building a 69 B I would definetly make it an A12 clone. :yes: Ron

Don't forget repop 054 26-inch radiator $1500, 26-inch core suppoet $325 plus bodywork.....beefy springs.....depending on how much the bug bites you on the details

I got lucky on that one... my RR is already optioned for the HD cooling package :tongueflap:

Don't forget the 15" rims, chrome lug nuts and G-70X 15 Redline Goodyear Polyglas tires!!

There is a big difference between a true "clone" and a "look alike." A clone should have all original type numbers matching parts.

A look a like on the other hand can be done much cheaper, which is what I would do.

Put a repro hood, repro fiberglass air cleaner, repro intake and carbs, cheap 15"X7" steel wheels, etc. on it and call it good.

If the car is an automatic I would just leave the 8 3/4" rear and put the gears of choice in it. If it is a 4 speed depending on how I built the 440 would determine if I needed a Hemi 4 speed and Dana rear end.

Either way you go about it, in the end the car will be worth the value of a non-original engine 383 car and the sum total of the used repro parts you put on it.

It would be a fun street/strip racer even for F.A.S.T. racing. Besides, who can see the V.I.N. or other part numbers as your kicking their *** down the 1320.

Why is the air cleaner so much? There isn't a reproduction?

There are TWO repros. one is a metal and very close to the original that only a trained eye will spot and there is a fiberglass base unit as well. The top is reproed in metal for about $100.00 and may even be available for less in fiberglass.

Since originals can still be discerned from the repros they still bring big money.

I bought mine knowing that I wanted to make it an F6 "tribute" car. I understand the need for the hood, carb/intake, rad, air cleaner, etc...but I started thinking about the things that "normal" people don't notice -- a missing Dana rear for example.

Here's the thing: Do I want to put enough money into it to impress an actual A12 owner, or is it enough to make people give a thumbs up as you're driving down the street. When I bought it I had in my mind "no expense spared! This MUST be an A12, M-code car!" But, the more I get to looking at what it actually costs to make a "correct" clone it's staggering. Just finding a dash with the rally gauges made me wince.

For craps sakes, I just finished doing the brakes on my car (new drums, pads and new lug nuts) and THAT cost almost $800.00!!!

Just takes time I guess....

I bought mine knowing that I wanted to make it an F6 "tribute" car. I understand the need for the hood, carb/intake, rad, air cleaner, etc...but I started thinking about the things that "normal" people don't notice -- a missing Dana rear for example.

Here's the thing: Do I want to put enough money into it to impress an actual A12 owner, or is it enough to make people give a thumbs up as you're driving down the street. When I bought it I had in my mind "no expense spared! This MUST be an A12, M-code car!" But, the more I get to looking at what it actually costs to make a "correct" clone it's staggering. Just finding a dash with the rally gauges made me wince.
For craps sakes, I just finished doing the brakes on my car (new drums, pads and new lug nuts) and THAT cost almost $800.00!!!

Just takes time I guess....

You must have a Coronet as the RRs had a standard 120 mph dash.

You have to remember, your dealing with people that are "in the know" on a web site like this. Most old car enthuisiests don't even know what an A12 is.

As I said in my post above, I would not spend the time and money necessary to make a true "clone."

I read on the A12 forum all the time that members that OWN these cars often didn't even know they were built until shortly before they bought their cars just a few years ago.

The vast majority of people that will recognize the car as a six pack will spot the hood and decals first and won't even know what came standard in the A12 package. They will be more interested in seeing under the hood to see the six pack.

The guy that knows more about the cars will walk up to the windshield and look for the "M" in the V.I.N. to see if it is real, so your not going to fool him anyway. On top of that, MANY of these guys will be pissed off that your car is wearing original parts that THEY believe should be reserved for "real" cars.

Yes, I have a Coronet 440 series, that I probably overpaid for just so I could make it into an M-code car. Thats' the other thing; the seller knew that guys are looking for "440 series" cars to make them into A12's so he wasn't budging on the price very much. Since that's what I wanted, I had to shrug my shoulders and pay da' man.

For what I'm doing, if I can find repop parts, I'll always go there first. BUT, if the only way I can put something on my car is to use an original, then I don't want to hear anyone saying it belongs on an actual A12 car. That's just being elitist.

I guess what I'd like, short of actually owning an A12 car, is to have someone that owns one, look at my car and say "gee, he did a really good job!"

Auto Transport Service
Back