• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A727 Torqueflite Shift Points?

Update here as well - I played around with small adjustments to the kickdown cable. Mine already had a return spring at the transmission lever (part of the kit). I now have a reasonable balance between the 1-2 shift and the 2-3 shift. Kickdown at part throttle works as well.

It does appear there is a fine balance between the throttle lever setting and the governor pressure. I've been studying some of the Torqueflite shop manuals...interesting stuff. I do know that this throttle body has higher than stock line pressure settings, so it stands to reason that would affect shift points.

I may still put a pressure gauge on the key test ports just to educate myself further, though.

Here's the update- finally got around to adding a return spring to the kickdown lever. Didn't realize that that there was about 1-1/2" of travel to the front of the trans that doesn't get taken up without a spring.
Fired it up and drove it, and surprise! It shifted at the expected rpm's smoothly, no issues. Thanks for the tip!
That said, I'm no transmission guy, so I hope it doesn't cause any other issues, but for now, it seems to be OK. If I'm in danger of burning up my trans by doing this, someone let me know! Thanks!
If you look at the chrysler report for setting the kickdown lever (or cable in this case) they instruct to use the kickdown tool which is a spring that pulls the kickdown lever back to the neutral or slack position. Then the adjustment is made from this point to the kickdown lever or cable, remember if u are using a cable setup make sure u are using the 1 to 1 ratio measuring from the pull point on the carb lever to the same point on the kickdown lever (u may have to drill a new hole on the kickdown lever to acheave this ( I did)...

Auto Transport Service
Back