• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A833 trans leaking fluid front seal and rear.

blue69runner

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:40 AM
Reaction score
This had new seals put in it. Now has 4 thou. miles since rebuilding the car. Was running a heaver oil in it and it wanted to shift hard. Changed out to synchromesh oil and the leak started. Just changed that out for a 70 W 90 oil to see if that would stop the leak. But it is still leaking. Think I was running a 140 oil in it before. Any Ideas would be appreciated. Blue.

Might try a Lucas oil product. They even make gear lube for worn semi trailer axles.

You all know this makes me sick. I thought the car would not need anything after restoring it. For many years. Well guess I was wrong again. LOL.

This had new seals put in it. Now has 4 thou. miles since rebuilding the car. Was running a heaver oil in it and it wanted to shift hard. Changed out to synchromesh oil and the leak started. Just changed that out for a 70 W 90 oil to see if that would stop the leak. But it is still leaking. Think I was running a 140 oil in it before. Any Ideas would be appreciated. Blue.
If it was shifting hard, there’s a problem that needs addressed.

Now that it’s leaking you’re going to have to pull it out and fix the leaks. But try to get it shifting right first. Don’t screw around too much though because if you’re getting oil on the clutch it will be ruined in short order.

I would start with the troubleshooting section in the service manual. Make sure you have the proper amount of pedal free play (clutch plate departure. )

As far as sealing up the transmission, I have always had problems. The last time I used a seal kit from Brewers. Gaskets only on side cover and tailshaft. On the front bearing retainer and the front counter shaft hole, I used a sealer made for gear oil, Permatex I think, green. This time it is sealed up good, dry as a bone.

This all started when putting Pennzoil synchromesh in it. Due to hard shift. Was running a 140 oil in it. So now going to change it again to Sta Lube 85-90. The worst thing is having to pull it. Know the seals are new. Replaced them before installing the trans as well the new gasket kit. Thanks all. Looks like I am just hoping to stop the leaks.

Make sure the vent is clear. If it builds up pressure, the seals will leak.

This all started when putting Pennzoil synchromesh in it. Due to hard shift. Was running a 140 oil in it. So now going to change it again to Sta Lube 85-90. The worst thing is having to pull it. Know the seals are new. Replaced them before installing the trans as well the new gasket kit. Thanks all. Looks like I am just hoping to stop the leaks.
Had a similar experience that I will have to deal with over the winter. Ran SAE 140 in as per FSM (for summer use) for years. Changed all the fluids a couple of years ago, used Penzoil Synchromesh. Now tranny leaks and has contaminated the clutch.

Ok now have 80W 140 Lucas rear and trans fluid. Will see how this works. It is a little stiff on the shift till it gets warmed up. But can live with that if it doesn't LEAK!!!!!!!!! Cleaned the shop floor took it for a long drive and now it is parked to see if any leaks are present. Like I said thanks all for the info. Guess like a few have said your never done working on them. LOL.

Auto Transport Service
Back