• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AC question

guy gadbois

Local time
4:22 PM
Reaction score
Question for all y'all much more expert than I...
My 67 Belverdere II is factory air. There is apparently a plastic duct that goes from the 'box' there below the dash up and over the steering column to the vent there on the left side/under the dash. Is this unique to 66/67 or are other years the same? Mine is missing...

The two ducts on the lower left of the photo are what connects the ac box to the driver side ac vent. I'd imagine you can just run a single piece of duct tube all the way over to the ac duct instead of the two pieces. Pretty sure the duct goes through the hole in the brake pedal assembly.

vents-jpg.jpg

I have not been able to connect the hose to the drivers side vent, there just wasn't room over the steering column. I'll have to check out the brake pedal assembly.

Hmmmm... so theres no formed plastic duct? When I got the car, I thought 'oh, it just needs a length of 'dryer hose', so I went to NAPA and got the correct size; least ways it was what fit the outlet on the box. I could figure no way to get it over the steering column... best look again, huh?
THANK YOU very much Mr Sam69Sat and Mr Snakeoil24! Will look at this over the weekend - car is not at home right now.

66 and 67 is a corrugated tube.
68 and up is a molded plastic tube

Last edited:
Big round hole is where the duct goes through..

View attachment 1374243
Got over to see my car today - my pedals dont look like that... :( could be because my car is [regrettably] a [column] auto as opposed to have 2 pedals hanging down there like God intended! No big hole in my hanger. But...since I now know that there is no formed duct, I shall look harder finding a way to rout it over and around the column. Thanx again.
PM sent Mr snakeoil24

Auto pedal assembly should look the same unless plymouth and dodge had different pedals. I have 66 and 67 manual and auto pedal assemblies and both look like this.

1%2F2%2F6%2F8%2F6%2F8%2F0%2Fwebimg%2F1070086813_tp.jpg

Hmmmm... cant imagine theyre different. maybe I just didnt look far enough up/hard enough. I DID try and run my hand up under the dash where I couldnt really see to feel for that opening....
Next week is supposed to be nice weather here, so I plan to bring it home for a few days - will investigate further. THANK YOU for your time and help!

OK... got the car home today and got a GOOD look under the dash; found the big round hole in the pedal assy - thanx for pointing that out. HOWEVER.... there is NO WAY to get that ducting over from the outlet on the airbox, over the column and thru that hole...at least w/o dropping the column and moving a lot of stuff. Wiring and a column brace are in the way. THEN... the fuse box is in the way of connecting the duct to the outlet! There is a reason - nay 100s of them - that I hate a/c on cars...
Any advice appreciated.

OK... got the car home today and got a GOOD look under the dash; found the big round hole in the pedal assy - thanx for pointing that out. HOWEVER.... there is NO WAY to get that ducting over from the outlet on the airbox, over the column and thru that hole...at least w/o dropping the column and moving a lot of stuff. Wiring and a column brace are in the way. THEN... the fuse box is in the way of connecting the duct to the outlet! There is a reason - nay 100s of them - that I hate a/c on cars...
Any advice appreciated.
Change cars???

Last time I tried to fish mine over the steering column, I thought if I unbolted the bracket holding the column to the dash I could drop it down far enough to get it through and then bolt it back up

I'm a little late to this topic, but here's a pic of the AC distribution housing on my 66 Satellite. Not sure if its the same for a 67. Pretty sure this is what snakeoil24 mentioned in post #4. There is also a plastic tube that connects the passenger side AC hose to this distribution housing.
AC_Distribution_Housing.jpg

I'm a little late to this topic, but here's a pic of the AC distribution housing on my 66 Satellite. Not sure if its the same for a 67. Pretty sure this is what snakeoil24 mentioned in post #4. There is also a plastic tube that connects the passenger side AC hose to this distribution housing.
View attachment 1391343
IS the same 1966 thru 1970

Auto Transport Service
Back