• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AC unit identification

bobfake

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:16 PM
Reaction score
Hi all…my 1968 Super Bee has what I believe to be an aftermarket AC unit installed. Most units I’ve seen at recent shows have labels with identification info, but mine doesn’t seem to have one.

Based on the attached pics, can anyone point me in the direction of the manufacturer?

Also, I’m trying to understand the operation. There is a cable/valve attached to the hose entering the firewall (See picture) that I believe simply starts/stops the refrigerant from entering. Am I correct in that the compressor is in an “always on” state (versus utilizing a clutch)?

Thanks for your help!!
Bob

64881EFC-93F7-4159-A925-139902660195.jpeg

2E806C5D-A276-416C-B892-08FA4270351B.jpeg

61CA683A-9DB7-4CD1-9D8D-BBDD213F63A8.jpeg

1) The compressor looks like a Sanborn or so to me.
2) The valve you are talking about I assume is the "Heater Control Valve". This regulates the flow of hot coolant thru the heater core.
3) The pully has a clutch. The outer plate is pulled into the pully so that the engine will turn it. There has to be a wire for the coil, or it has been cut off.

Most likely a Classic air system. Sanden compressor. It has a clutch. Clutch engages in a/c mode. Valve is for coolant control not a/c refrigerant.

1) The compressor looks like a Sanborn or so to me.
2) The valve you are talking about I assume is the "Heater Control Valve". This regulates the flow of hot coolant thru the heater core.
3) The pully has a clutch. The outer plate is pulled into the pully so that the engine will turn it. There has to be a wire for the coil, or it has been cut off.
Thanks! This is where I’m getting a little confused, simply because I don’t know how this setup is supposed to work.

I do not have a “switch” to turn the AC on/off. So not sure how the compressor gets its power when I want the AC on.

I’ll get in touch with Classic Air to confirm it is their unit and more info.

Thanks! This is where I’m getting a little confused, simply because I don’t know how this setup is supposed to work.

I do not have a “switch” to turn the AC on/off. So not sure how the compressor gets its power when I want the AC on.

I’ll get in touch with Classic Air to confirm it is their unit and more info.
Just go on line and read the install instructions for your model. It tells you everything you need to know. Post a picture of your controls. There are several designs.

Just go on line and read the install instructions for your model. It tells you everything you need to know. Post a picture of your controls. There are several designs.
Thanks…I seem to have factory controls. Nothing aftermarket on my dash controls like the Classic Air D. E. R. That they mention…

D3EA9AD6-4579-4271-A5AB-A9F6C3FEEC01.jpeg

Thanks…I seem to have factory controls. Nothing aftermarket on my dash controls like the Classic Air D. E. R. That they mention…

View attachment 1359896
Thats because you have the older discontinued system. That's what I have. So temp runs the valve under the hood for hot water control. Fan switch is pretty much the same as stock. On the mode control you will no longer have off. That is now your a/c dash vents. There is a micro switch mounted so that when it is full to the left in off mode the a/c compressor can run. The blower switch has to be on to power the compressor. If you slide it slightly to the right the micro switch will deactivate the compressor but you will still have dash air able to blow. Floor and defrost stay the same as factory.

Thats because you have the older discontinued system. That's what I have. So temp runs the valve under the hood for hot water control. Fan switch is pretty much the same as stock. On the mode control you will no longer have off. That is now your a/c dash vents. There is a micro switch mounted so that when it is full to the left in off mode the a/c compressor can run. The blower switch has to be on to power the compressor. If you slide it slightly to the right the micro switch will deactivate the compressor but you will still have dash air able to blow. Floor and defrost stay the same as factory.
Thank you so much!! I will look at it tomorrow and make sure I understand how it works!!

Thank you so much!! I will look at it tomorrow and make sure I understand how it works!!
If you can't figure it out I might have another set of the old instructions. I would have to dig through the box of documents I saved.

Auto Transport Service
Back