• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Acceptable Battery Charge Volt Range -- 15.5 too high?

Thanks, haven't seen those before. Have you tried one?
Yes, running one on one of my '72s.
20200426_110159.jpg

Had the same issue when running a non-stock Powermaster 70A alternator. It puts out more output than the stock 60A chrysler alternators.

Install the transpo Voltage Regulator mentioned above that has the adjustable pot on the back and set it with the car running for 13.8-14.2V. Solve this issue before it fries some of your gauges (happened to me).

Remember, an alt only puts out what is required.

The Mopar electronic voltage regulator has provision for user adjustment. The regulator works using an internal voltage divider network that has temperature compensation that is set by design, with in a range found to be acceptable. The electronic voltage regulator controls the field voltage/current of the alternator's rotating field with an internal NPN transistor by turning on/off (current sinking circuit) to keep the alternator output voltage relative constant(established by the internal voltage divider network) while the amps produced by the alternator is determined by the connected load's requirements. Just insure that the electronic voltage regulator case is grounded as this is a fundamental requirement.
BOB RENTON
I sanded the back off of both of the regulators in question. I will remove the firewall mount and double check that too. Thanks!

Had the same issue when running a non-stock Powermaster 70A alternator. It puts out more output than the stock 60A chrysler alternators.

Install the transpo Voltage Regulator mentioned above that has the adjustable pot on the back and set it with the car running for 13.8-14.2V. Solve this issue before it fries some of your gauges (happened to me).
Thanks! I do have a NOS 60 AMP alternator as I mentioned before, got it from PLYHEMI maybe? Worked well when I used it before. Looks like I have a few paths to fix. Thanks again!

There are many other resellers offering the same piece for twice as much if that price is bothersome.
I bought it regardless. Just amazed that I’m not being gouged on price. I appreciate the help!

Ok. Did a few things. Did voltage drop test from battery to alternator case and almost zero.
Then to test vr plate ground, I ran multimeter from negative cable mount on engine to plate and went from open line to zero.
Then I swapped alternator with the nos 65 amp one and still got 15.5 volts.
So then I figured must be voltage regulator. Right? So I tested all three of these and all of them are at least 15.5. The one on the far right was almost 16. A few posts ago someone mentioned modern vrs are all at about 15. Hmm. I got a few old stock ones on order to compare as these are all less then 10 years old.
Any other tests I’ve missed? Need to hit the threads and service manual again…

IMG_8159.jpeg

IMG_8160.jpeg

Not seeing a voltage drop test result on the positive side, from the battery positive post to the ign1 connection (blue wire) at the voltage regulator while under load/operating. Post #8

Not seeing a voltage drop test result on the positive side, from the battery positive post to the ign1 connection (blue wire) at the voltage regulator while under load/operating. Post #8
Ok. I’ll do that too. But what would that indicate? Thanks as always!

Thanks!!! I understand from previous threads!!! I appreciate it!
Reading the first thread and I guess there might be something to the adjustable voltage regulator. I’ll report back and I think I’ll install my 37 amp alternator as well to confirm it’s the higher output alternators.

Here’s the different vr for the older 65 amp “Cop car” harnesses/alternators. Getting interesting!
NOS Mopar Voltage Regulator 1970-3 All Models W/ Leece Neville 65 Amp Alyernator - Hiltop Auto Parts

Last edited:
that's why you need the adjustable VR. Dial it in and done.
There needs to be a disclaimer on these higher alternators. Seems like you either know this in advance or eventually get help and install an adjustable vr. I miss the good old days of going to the dealership or trak auto and it just works. I’ve bought four reman alternators for different cars and all of them had stripped out mount holes. So I got the power master and fell down this hole. Oh well, keeps me busy! Thanks everyone!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back