• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Acceptable Battery Charge Volt Range -- 15.5 too high?

This 14 dollar device fixed it! Down to 14.2 with a small turn to the left. Going to put back on the power master since the pulley perfectly lines up. Thanks again everyone!!!

IMG_8170.jpeg

IMG_8169.jpeg

Last edited:
I'll give you one thing - you were quick in action at getting this addressed. Well done. Don't forget to re-check the voltage after the Powermaster is back on.
If you're like me, you'll order an additional one as a backup and put in in the trunk. Who knows how long they'll manufacture these things?

I'll give you one thing - you were quick in action at getting this addressed. Well done. Don't forget to re-check the voltage after the Powermaster is back on.
If you're like me, you'll order an additional one as a backup and put in in the trunk. Who knows how long they'll manufacture these things?
Funny you mention that! The NOS 65 AMP Roundback came in at about 14.2 after a small turn to the left -- success! So, I took it out and put in the Powermaster 95 AMP. It came back at about 14.95 but still less than 15.5 so I know it's working. Hurray! I decided it was time for dinner, so I'll remove the regulator and turn it down a tad tomorrow and keep going! I've already ordered a second adjustable regulator. I should probably get 2 or 3 since they are 14 bucks. :) During all of this I ordered a NOS Voltage Regulator from the 70s from eBay. If I'm motivated, I might see if the older ones can handle the extra load from these alternators compared to the newer regulators. But after finding the Leece 65 AMP Regulator I mentioned a few posts ago, I'm not holding my breath. :) I think PowerMaster and TuffStuff should throw in a free adjustable regulator. That would be nice. Maybe someone could actually manufacture a 37 AMP as nice as the new high output ones. Maybe I've just missed that, and they are for sale. Anyway, thanks again for all of your help!

Note: I added this image to the post after I found another Leece-Neville for sale -- there are quite a few NOS ones on eBay. Nice Voltage Adjust option right on top of the unit. I guess we can figure out how to make these work if they stop making the other ones. :) Thought I'd share...

1695965420633.png

Last edited:
I might see if the older ones can handle the extra load from these alternators compared to the newer regulators.
Not sure I’m following the reasoning here. The output capacity of the alternator has nothing to do with the function of the VR. The VR simply varies the field current to maintain a preset voltage as referenced at the ign1 terminal of the regulator. While the aftermarket adjustable VR allows some flexibility, it can also mask a significant voltage drop between the VR and the battery. Did you take that measurement yet?

Not sure I’m following the reasoning here. The output capacity of the alternator has nothing to do with the function of the VR. The VR simply varies the field current to maintain a preset voltage as referenced at the ign1 terminal of the regulator. While the aftermarket adjustable VR allows some flexibility, it can also mask a significant voltage drop between the VR and the battery. Did you take that measurement yet?
No, I did not. But I will tomorrow. Hard to do this on weekdays. But I think you misunderstood my statement. If the newer voltage regulators cannot handle the higher output alternators and require an adjustable voltage regulator in their place, I wonder if the older voltage regulators operate the same as the newer ones/same specifications or are more robust. That was a save for a rainy day to do. Thanks again!

Funny you mention that! The NOS 65 AMP Roundback came in at about 14.2 after a small turn to the left -- success! So, I took it out and put in the Powermaster 95 AMP. It came back at about 14.95 but still less than 15.5 so I know it's working. Hurray! I decided it was time for dinner, so I'll remove the regulator and turn it down a tad tomorrow and keep going! I've already ordered a second adjustable regulator. I should probably get 2 or 3 since they are 14 bucks. :) During all of this I ordered a NOS Voltage Regulator from the 70s from eBay. If I'm motivated, I might see if the older ones can handle the extra load from these alternators compared to the newer regulators. But after finding the Leece 65 AMP Regulator I mentioned a few posts ago, I'm not holding my breath. :) I think PowerMaster and TuffStuff should throw in a free adjustable regulator. That would be nice. Maybe someone could actually manufacture a 37 AMP as nice as the new high output ones. Maybe I've just missed that, and they are for sale. Anyway, thanks again for all of your help!

Note: I added this image to the post after I found another Leece-Neville for sale -- there are quite a few NOS ones on eBay. Nice Voltage Adjust option right on top of the unit. I guess we can figure out how to make these work if they stop making the other ones. :) Thought I'd share...

View attachment 1531946
I like that a lot! They all should have the adjuster on the front. I don't know why the $14 transpo units place it on the back, which is a bit of a pain. Where did you find this red one? Ebay or a website?

I like that a lot! They all should have the adjuster on the front. I don't know why the $14 transpo units place it on the back, which is a bit of a pain. Where did you find this red one? Ebay or a website?
eBay — lots of them. The first link was Hilltop. Get lots of parts from him too. Thanks!

FYI, Went out and checked my old 88 D350 Ram Truck
35 year old OE stock everything... 15.5 V . How about that ?
Never checked before,never had reason to.
I still think 15.5 V is too high. Guess Ma Mopar thinks otherwise.

What is the voltage reading at the ign1 terminal at the VR under these same conditions?

So much ado about nothing? Hmm…is 15.5 the new normal?

So much ado about nothing? Hmm…is 15.5 the new normal?
I kind of doubt it. I have always been told that with anything over 15 volts, there is a good chance acid will come out the vent.

Or....as the old expression says that "Mother knows best" ... in this instance...Ma Mopar knows best"....corresponding to the other old expression...."ignorance is bliss" or "what you don't know won't hurt you"...now....most everybody will be running out and buy an adjustable voltage regulator....???...MSAMD....may be applicable.....
BOB RENTON

Or....as the old expression says that "Mother knows best" ... in this instance...Ma Mopar knows best"....corresponding to the other old expression...."ignorance is bliss" or "what you don't know won't hurt you"...now....most everybody will be running out and buy an adjustable voltage regulator....???...MSAMD....may be applicable.....
BOB RENTON

MSAMD? Need input...

More is better. So crank that voltage up lol
Not necessarily so.....until electrical systems: lights, instruments, perhaps the ECU, ignition start to fail.....
BOB RENTON
I would think the battery would swell.
IF the battery's vents were restricted, the case would likely crack....too high voltage will cause the water content of the electrolyic to boil or break down into hydrogen abd oxygen.....possibly creating an explosive hazard.....all because of the charging voltage being too high......in simple terms.....DNFW with the charging voltage.....just my opinion of course....
BOB RENTON

Auto Transport Service
Back