• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

actual difference between a 70 sport satellite and a road runner

doublekrossd

Local time
9:39 AM
Reaction score
So I've got an opportunity to purchase a 1970 road runner clone sport satellite. The car is gorgeous, is in the end stages of a rotisserie restoration but mostly still in pieces. Comes with a fresh 440, ceramic headers, and literally a trailer load of good parts. Body work is done except for final wet sanding. The bottom side of the car has been painted and all suspension components have been powder coated, great detail had been taken so far to really make it a nice, quality restoration car. I can get the car for what seems to me, to be a good price but, I just found out that it's a sport satellite as opposed to a road runner. I guess other than 20k, whats the real difference? Any? Interior is all new, but not yet installed, and its a column shift car not console (727).

I know I mentioned I thought it to be a fair deal but any ideas what its worth? Complete car, mostly disassembled... rolling as it is right now.

I'm basically looking for a project with minimal body work because I'm scared of it! I'm comfortable with chassis and powertrain work but I don't have the knack for the fancy finishing work...

Thanks in advance,
Jason

The Satellite and Sport Satellites were not performance based cars. They could have been powered by 318s or 383s. There were no Factory 426 Hemi or 440 Satellites. The Road Runner was a performance car with a 383-4 as a standard engine, the 426 Hemi was optional. The Road Runner had a different hood and cold air induction was available, not so on other models. In short, The Satellite models had more chrome and stainless steel trim, the interiors were more fancy and they had a softer suspension for a smoother ride.

In addition I believe the dash in the sport satellite is the swept design like in 68 and 69 vs the rally cluster in the roardunner, superbee, gtx, ect.

In addition I believe the dash in the sport satellite is the swept design like in 68 and 69 vs the rally cluster in the roardunner, superbee, gtx, ect.

With the car disassembled this would be the perfect opportunity for the OP to swap the dash frame for a rallye...if he goes ahead with the purchase.

Any pics, doublekrossd? Sounds like a pretty decent project.

Last edited:
If you were ordering one new, you could have optioned a Sport Satellite with base RR performance coupled with a GTX style interior and trim.

Special price class- GTX
Premium price class- Sport Sat
High Price class- Satellite
Medium price class- RR
Low Price class- Belvedere

Nice looking car.Price is always the issue. Sport Satellite vs RR all depends on what YOU want. Satellite looks good to me.

IMHO if you believe that the price is in your wheelhouse and the bodywork is up to snuff, go for it.

Looks like a beautiful project!

It sounds like the perfect car for you with the body work done. Have you gone to see it in person?

We are headed there tomorrow morning with a pocket full of cash. I'm hoping it's as nice in person as it looks in the pics. The owner seems knowledgeable.

It looks pretty nice, just take a good look at what isn't in the pictures and make sure it has solid frame rails and flooring too.
too.

It looks pretty nice, just take a good look at what isn't in the pictures and make sure it has solid frame rails and flooring too.
too.

That I will do! I love looking for new cars but at the same time it's hard to because I see something shiney and i gotta have it!

Sounds like the best kind of project, the dirty work is done. Only assembly required. Hope it checks out well and good luck if you go for it.:thumbsup:

funny that he has it listed as a 1970 RR, and not clone. anyway, the way it sits, he's probably asking between 15-20k+

Just me, But I would finish it as a sport satellite with the 440 upgrade, far less sport satellites running around these days because of all the cloned RRs. Good luck finding a sport sat at a car show these days. LOL , heck slap a 383 pie tin on the air cleaner lid and most would never know the diff.

Well unfortunately due to work getting in the way of everything I really enjoy doing I couldn't make it to the car yesterday and I think it sold. Kinda bummed but I know there will be more for sale. And I really hate not being able to meet someone when I say I'll go. Oh well, thanks to all who replied with your knowledge!

Late to this thread, but trim-wise, a Sport Satellite is very close to a GTX. Thus, it would be more cost-effective & easier to clone this car to a GTX than a Road Runner. This is for a couple reasons: 1st, you would have to remove all the exterior trim & fill all the holes in the body, since the Road Runner had none of that - not to mention ditch all of the interior wood grain trim a bright work. 2nd, as already mentioned, the dash is a Rally style in the 70 Road Runner, and not available in the GTX. To change to a Rally dash means changing the VIN plate and opening a possible can of worms...Only other difference would be the GTX 150 speedo, which may be tuff to find, but probably not worth messing with. I say, if a clone is what you want, then go with the GTX!

Late to this thread, but trim-wise, a Sport Satellite is very close to a GTX. Thus, it would be more cost-effective & easier to clone this car to a GTX than a Road Runner. This is for a couple reasons: 1st, you would have to remove all the exterior trim & fill all the holes in the body, since the Road Runner had none of that - not to mention ditch all of the interior wood grain trim a bright work. 2nd, as already mentioned, the dash is a Rally style in the 70 Road Runner, and not available in the GTX. To change to a Rally dash means changing the VIN plate and opening a possible can of worms...Only other difference would be the GTX 150 speedo, which may be tuff to find, but probably not worth messing with. I say, if a clone is what you want, then go with the GTX!

GTX did have the rallye style dash in 1970, the only difference being that it had a woodgrain dash instead of black in the road runner.

Auto Transport Service
Back