• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adding air conditioning to my roadrunner

417guy

Local time
3:21 AM
Reaction score
Well after going to my buddy’s garage yesterday and seeing him putting a complete vintage air kit in his VERY nice firebird, I am much closer to ordering some kind/brand of a/c for my 68 roadrunner. I have looked on vintage air and classic air web sites, not sure I like the hose routing that vintage suggests for they’re complete kit. best I can tell it goes between the inner fender and the fender, all 4 hoses going through the access panel for the upper A arm adjustment bolt…
I‘m wondering what others have done to stay cool. my heater is in very good shape, I’ve replaced the blower motor and core, completely restored all,the foam and metal parts. So like to hear from any one that has added air under the dash like in the 60’s, and whose replaced it all with a complete heater/air unit ? Pros/cons, opinions , brands ?

I’m leaning toward an under dash unit, but like the idea of a complete new heat/ac as well. Like to hear from anyone .

thanks for reading !

Classic Auto Air. Perfect fit kit. Sanden etc.

I did the classic and ordered it with the universal condenser and hose kit. With my Hemi I wanted to set it up my way.

100_1902.JPG

100_1901.JPG

100_1921.JPG

100_1914.JPG

100_1913.JPG

Last edited:
A friend just did the Vintage kit for a 68 GTX and using the mounting kit the passenger wiper interfered. He took the wiper out and put a little bend in it. If he didn't have the dash out to see it bad things would have happened to a servo. That being said I cobbled together a vintage system for my Valiant and the unit works well.

Last edited:
We just went through this on my bud's '35 truck project; he didn't like the A/C kit's included hoses/routing either so he bought some hose for mock-up, then had a local shop make new hoses in the exact lengths he wanted...came out nice and wasn't too bad price-wise.

We just went through this on my bud's '35 truck project; he didn't like the A/C kit's included hoses/routing either so he bought some hose for mock-up, then had a local shop make new hoses in the exact lengths he wanted...came out nice and wasn't too bad price-wise.
I bought my own hydraulic hose crimper. It paid for it self on the first job. I cheaped out and bought the Chinese knock off. Since then I have crimped enough for friends that always felt a 10 spot tip was fair it actually makes me money.

Saw a new one on FB market B Bodies for $1000. Might be worth a look. Make that Mopar Trader Page Vintage Air.

Last edited:
I agree with pnora, I've installed about twenty A/C systems in old cars now.. I should have bought the hydraulic unit but cheaper out & bought the manual model... Course when I bought mine the hydraulic unit was over $700 & the manual was $200... Now you can buy a hydraulic for $200... But yeah, buy bulk hose & fittings & route the lines the way you want to... I've done installs where most of the hoses are hidden, I've done installs where the hoses routed just like OE but use a Sanden compressor.... When You make the hoses you can do a much nicer job than the kit makers supply...

Last edited:
I can’t say too much yet, but I’m in the middle of doing the Vintage Air complete Gen IV kit on my 68 Satellite. I wasn’t a fan of the fender wall routing, but I’m also building a 440 for it later (5-10 yrs down the road. It has a stroked 390 (from the SB 318) and I was hoping it would help with engine bay fitment. I’ve got the hose routing in the pass fender done and loomed and here’s what I’ve got so far. First pic is everything clamped/tied in place. Second is with the wheel on and checking for clearance above/behind the tire. Hope this helps you in some way.

1A64C75C-CEDA-44DB-86A9-89AEE613046E.jpeg

C4C467BE-2895-4EDE-81BA-8AC751485F73.jpeg

I did classic I did a templet of the fire wall to see before I drilled ! good thing ! did not match theirs also stock pulleys ! also have cruise control (by brake cylinder) and power windows will be installed soon (daily driver)
20210703_105052.jpg

I can’t say too much yet, but I’m in the middle of doing the Vintage Air complete Gen IV kit on my 68 Satellite. I wasn’t a fan of the fender wall routing, but I’m also building a 440 for it later (5-10 yrs down the road. It has a stroked 390 (from the SB 318) and I was hoping it would help with engine bay fitment. I’ve got the hose routing in the pass fender done and loomed and here’s what I’ve got so far. First pic is everything clamped/tied in place. Second is with the wheel on and checking for clearance above/behind the tire. Hope this helps you in some way.

View attachment 1326577

View attachment 1326578
Wow ! That’s a lot going on above the tire . you’ve done a great job with those. But that’s just not what I want for my car. I like to drive it “3 seasons” here, and it’s been in the rain and down some sketchy roads in all the years I’ve had it. I considered using Vintage and making some light tin covers for those hoses, but now I see that’s a lot more than I want to get into. No offense intended at all, your work looks great, but in my opinion that’s a mess. I imagine it has to be there for the entry into the interior and fitting to their unit. again please dont take my comments the wrong way. Thanks very much for posting the pictures.

Well after going to my buddy’s garage yesterday and seeing him putting a complete vintage air kit in his VERY nice firebird, I am much closer to ordering some kind/brand of a/c for my 68 roadrunner. I have looked on vintage air and classic air web sites, not sure I like the hose routing that vintage suggests for they’re complete kit. best I can tell it goes between the inner fender and the fender, all 4 hoses going through the access panel for the upper A arm adjustment bolt…
I‘m wondering what others have done to stay cool. my heater is in very good shape, I’ve replaced the blower motor and core, completely restored all,the foam and metal parts. So like to hear from any one that has added air under the dash like in the 60’s, and whose replaced it all with a complete heater/air unit ? Pros/cons, opinions , brands ?

I’m leaning toward an under dash unit, but like the idea of a complete new heat/ac as well. Like to hear from anyone .

thanks for reading !
Well, thanks to all that have responded and all the pics and links about adding a/c. I built a cardboard mock up box to see if an under dash unit would fit in my 68. It’s a no go, the tremec 5 speed shifter sits too close to the dash, the unit has no clearance. So more google searching. I really liked how Steve Strope did the yellow Plymouth Scamp, it had a vintage air mark IV style under dash. Of course it was automatic and console. BUT, found out that he ditched the factory heater and put in a small separate heater also from Vintage Air. from what I can tell, the smaller heater allows the under dash a/c to slide back further under the dash. The pic attached is the Plymouth Scamp Strope did. I don’t drive the car in the winter, so a smaller heater may work just fine. I know the oem heater will make you sweat in the winter.
also, both Classic and Vintage use a ECU for their complete replacement units, and my Buddy putting one in his car has yet to get it going, they think the new ECU is bad. I like the appeal of simple, like it might have been in the 60’s-70’s.

DEAC9ED3-870E-4E08-AB10-2C8D28A43C3D.jpeg

Well, thanks to all that have responded and all the pics and links about adding a/c. I built a cardboard mock up box to see if an under dash unit would fit in my 68. It’s a no go, the tremec 5 speed shifter sits too close to the dash, the unit has no clearance. So more google searching. I really liked how Steve Strope did the yellow Plymouth Scamp, it had a vintage air mark IV style under dash. Of course it was automatic and console. BUT, found out that he ditched the factory heater and put in a small separate heater also from Vintage Air. from what I can tell, the smaller heater allows the under dash a/c to slide back further under the dash. The pic attached is the Plymouth Scamp Strope did. I don’t drive the car in the winter, so a smaller heater may work just fine. I know the oem heater will make you sweat in the winter.
also, both Classic and Vintage use a ECU for their complete replacement units, and my Buddy putting one in his car has yet to get it going, they think the new ECU is bad. I like the appeal of simple, like it might have been in the 60’s-70’s.

View attachment 1326986
Being cool 9 months out of the year is more important to me than warm in the winter, since it is rare that the car leaves the garage December-February.

Wow ! That’s a lot going on above the tire . you’ve done a great job with those. But that’s just not what I want for my car. I like to drive it “3 seasons” here, and it’s been in the rain and down some sketchy roads in all the years I’ve had it. I considered using Vintage and making some light tin covers for those hoses, but now I see that’s a lot more than I want to get into. No offense intended at all, your work looks great, but in my opinion that’s a mess. I imagine it has to be there for the entry into the interior and fitting to their unit. again please dont take my comments the wrong way. Thanks very much for posting the pictures.
Sure...no offense taken. Total there's two 5/8" regular heater hoses and 2 A/C hoses with fittings. Lastly power wires and heater module with wires. Yes...there's a lot and I think I might built a shield for it.....but just to make it look more tidy. Best of luck to you. Just got it all wired and am charging the R134a today. Fingers crossed and then I can wire loom the engine bay and get rid of all the zip ties. I have the American Autowire Classic Update Master wiring kit on it too. Kept the 2 mega fuses on the firewall next to the wiper motor. Best of luck!!

68221622538__B35FF5C7-4A7B-41B1-965C-55023E6BAA88.jpeg

Thanks for the picture. I have also been thinking of rewiring the car. Looks like the American auto wire still uses the OE bulkhead connection ? Do you have to install all the spade connectors in the bulkhead with new wires or are they already attached ?

Auto Transport Service
Back