• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adjusting the lash on the right rear axle.

wvmarv

Local time
12:25 PM
Reaction score
Hi, I have a question about adjusting the right rear axle lash on an 8 3/4. I just had new outer seals and bearings installed on both axles. When I started turning the adjuster it was very tight. I figured it was from not being moved for who knows and started moving easier as I turned it. But my problem is I was using a hammer and chisel to move it. no big deal, but I kept turning it trying to get the lash to 0. But I ran out of adjustment, meaning I could no longer reach the tabs to tap on because theY were so far in the plate. And I never got all the end play out of the axle. Also the last couple of turns on the adjuster were so easy that I think I might have run out of threads and it is just turning freely. I hope I didn't push the new seal out of the housing, if that is even possible. What do you guys think? The only thing I could think of was maybe the bearing wasn't pressed on far enough.

Have a SureGrip in it? If so, what one? If the adjustment is too tight, you can actually mess up the thrust pin that's in the clutch type SG. When you said you were trying to get to 0, I hope you were doing that so you could back off a bit for the required clearance.

Did you follow the instructions in the service manual? You're supposed to remove both rear wheels and both brake drums. Take a hammer and tap the left rear axle IN towards the center and remove any play. Then go to the right and make the adjustment. Generally I like to go down to about .008". Sounds like you didn't tap the left axle in.

Have a SureGrip in it? If so, what one? If the adjustment is too tight, you can actually mess up the thrust pin that's in the clutch type SG. When you said you were trying to get to 0, I hope you were doing that so you could back off a bit for the required clearance.

Yes it has the clutch type SG. And yes that is exactly what I was trying to do. the 72 motors manual said to turn clockwise until you get no axle end play and then back off 4 notches for proper clearance. clearance got down to about an 1/8 of an inch, maybe 3/16. then it started turning very freely and I could not get to the tabs any more. Something definitely isn't right in my opinion.

Something sounds fishy. First off, did you get 'your' axles back? If that's a yes, then it's time to pull both axles out and get a good light on the opposite side and take a look to verify if the thrust pin is still in place. If you can see light shining through a small hole in the center of the splines, then the pin dropped out. That's a pretty common thing with the clutch type units.

Something sounds fishy. First off, did you get 'your' axles back? If that's a yes, then it's time to pull both axles out and get a good light on the opposite side and take a look to verify if the thrust pin is still in place. If you can see light shining through a small hole in the center of the splines, then the pin dropped out. That's a pretty common thing with the clutch type units.

Will do. Thanks

Will do. Thanks

Cranky pulled the axles put my best flashlight that fit right inside the inner seal in. Looked in the other side and it looked like a high beam headlight on a train coming down a tunnel at me. LOL. So I Guess I will be pulling the diff. in few minutes. What's the trick to keeping the pin in place? Thanks again, been 20 years or better since I had one of these apart and I guess I forgot everything I knew about them. Old age has beaten me again haha.

I too would like to know, what keeps the thrust buttons in place?................................MO

m3qnxTk2Q88wmtPowED6QTw_zps2937d40b.jpg

Peen the end of the pin like a rivet .

Attachments

• m3qnxTk2Q88wmtPowED6QTw.jpg
    m3qnxTk2Q88wmtPowED6QTw.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 159
Pulled the diff. this morning. No thrust buttons in bottom of the housing. Must not have had any when I installed it. Good thing it was last winter and I only drove it a couple miles before I pulled the axles for new outer seals.

Pulled the diff. this morning. No thrust buttons in bottom of the housing. Must not have had any when I installed it. Good thing it was last winter and I only drove it a couple miles before I pulled the axles for new outer seals.

Just ordered on Ebay, $33.80 priority shipped. Thanks for all the help.

Auto Transport Service
Back