• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice for 1970 Sport Satellite

You said you got water out of 3 and 8?
All but #6 and #1 but #1 is at TDC and #6 is almost there. The pictures above are good to see this....

I'm guessing you didn't drain the block (plug on each side).

I'm guessing you didn't drain the block (plug on each side).
No I just vacuumed out the fluid see on top of the pistons in the cylinders. I will hunt for those drain plugs.

No I just vacuumed out the fluid see on top of the pistons in the cylinders. I will hunt for those drain plugs.

IMGP9924.JPG

Soooo are you thinking a new gasket set might do the trick? I am concerned about all the crud all over the place. I tried to keep dust off the top end when I had it opened to almost a sterile environment when I put the new manifold on. Now we got all the muck from the coolant in the oil passages...... Seems like this approach is not a good one but heck WTF do I know.....

Soooo are you thinking a new gasket set might do the trick? I am concerned about all the crud all over the place. I tried to keep dust off the top end when I had it opened to almost a sterile environment when I put the new manifold on. Now we got all the muck from the coolant in the oil passages...... Seems like this approach is not a good one but heck WTF do I know.....
Shop vac the cylinders out and dry with a towel. Blow with an air gun helps. The creamy oil in the lifter valley can be flushed out somewhat by dumping some oil along the lifters. Drain the oil and change filters before start up and shortly after running.

Get your heads checked for straightness

I am going to breakdown the heads. Any special directions on spring removal? I also plan on lapping the valves after I dismantle them. I will make sure all the valves go back in their original order.

Also is there a way to visualize if the seats were hardened?

Thanks!

My opinion is to give them to @69Bee and let him pull them down, clean, magna-flux for cracks, check for straightness then have him give you what he recommends.

Or do absolutely nothing throw some gaskets in it bolt it back together and see what happens. It’s kind of a slippery slope to start tearing stuff apart and thinking about updating this or that. That was my initial comment I maybe just pull the whole thing out and tear it apart see what you got, I have been on a slippery slope slid all the way to the bottom!

And only together enough to start it.
Hi Jim, thanks I know where you are coming from. Why do all this incremental work only to have to keep tearing down because I did not go far enough. I am seriously considering my options and have earlier set a PM to 60bee to get some advice! His shop is far but seeing your work shows the level of detail you expect. Also good machine shops are getting harder and harder to find. Craftsmanship has long been diminishing here innthe states.

Hi Jim, thanks I know where you are coming from. Why do all this incremental work only to have to keep tearing down because I did not go far enough. I am seriously considering my options and have earlier set a PM to 60bee to get some advice! His shop is far but seeing your work shows the level of detail you expect. Also good machine shops are getting harder and harder to find. Craftsmanship has long been diminishing here innthe states.

I understand. He has several stories and work in his shop or so called machine shop work that he is fixing or had to find a new block cause they totally ruined it. Dave is a craftsman.

I can pick them up in Casa Grande next week and deliver them to him. To get them spend the night here is Sonoita and do the wine tasting trail with the wife.

Direct link to Dave place.

http://precisionmachineserviceaz.com/restoration/3551523

Last edited:
I understand. He has several stories and work in his shop or so called machine shop work that he is fixing or had to find a new block cause they totally ruined it. Dave is a craftsman.

I can pick them up in Casa Grande next week and deliver them to him. To get them spend the night here is Sonoita and do the wine tasting trail with the wife.

Direct link to Dave place.

http://precisionmachineserviceaz.com/restoration/3551523
Thanks so much Jim, lets see what he comes back with.

OK so the initial plan is to assume that the bottom end is ok. I drained all the fluids and poured fresh motor oil into the lifter valley and marvel mystery oil To coat the cylinders. I ordered a complete gasket set and oil pickup tube from Summit along with a good head spring compressor tool.
I have a machinist straight edge I can check for flatness. I plan to break down the heads and lap the valves myself. I just am not sure about how to tell if the seats have been hardened or not. I have a few kocal machine shops I can take them to to check if I have to as I don’t own a metal hardness gage......

Auto Transport Service
Back