• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice for 1970 Sport Satellite

Ok what is the first thing I purchased for the car? You guessed it what I did not have money for back in the seventies lol These are the sold cast aluminum non rusting Cragars 15x7 for the front and 15x8 for the back!

IMG_7557.JPG

IMG_7561.JPG
Here she is,,,,,,, She had a minor impact not sure how the bumper got like that. The plastic is OK but I will need to push out the right headlight support to get the lights back in line. I wonder if the bumper could be repaired for a reasonable amount....

Yes B57 that's what I thought and it makes sense the last two owners names were Bubba and Bubba who would think that the last two owners would have the same name lol.

IMG_7600.JPG

IMG_7604.JPG
OK so I removed the original cast manifold. That was easy the bolts were just fine. The internals look OK to me what do you think?

that looks really clean. someone took care of the oil changes at least.

Yes I was expecting more surprises on that front. I did however find this gem of an issue on the water pump. I am not planning on hooking up the heater hoses since I am in Phoenix. I might later after I change the water pump. For now I can going to clean it out and see if I can tap it and plug it. wish me luck on that one lol....

IMG_7607(1).JPG

Yes I was expecting more surprises on that front. I did however find this gem of an issue on the water pump. I am not planning on hooking up the heater hoses since I am in Phoenix. I might later after I change the water pump. For now I can going to clean it out and see if I can tap it and plug it. wish me luck on that one lol....

View attachment 534893

New water pump is $25 plus the hose fittings. Easy fix. Even in Yuma during the winter I use the heat at night and early mornings.

New water pump is $25 plus the hose fittings. Easy fix. Even in Yuma during the winter I use the heat at night and early mornings.
wow thats cheap for a water pump. Where do you get them from?

Also does anyone have a type or brand recommendation for the 318 to Edlbrock Performer Manifold gaskets? I got some metal crush ones made by Felpro at Autozone and I am not impressed at all with them. they are very minimalistic....

thanks man...much different than the cost of parts of my C3 vette lol and in a very good way!

IMG_7627.JPG
A rear (not rare) view. Bumper needs a tweak and the old body work was done by Bubba again. Gonna have to fix that too after I get the car running. Here in AZ its very strange.

That intake manifold is odd. I have never seen a 2 barrel intake with runners that looked like those. It reminds me of a 4 barrel Holley Strip/Street Dominator. Are there any numbers or any identifying marks on the intake?
I've also never seen an engine hoist used to pull an intake. Do you have a bad back? If so, great idea to save yourself.
The intake gaskets on the engine are blue. They do not look original. Fel Pro makes a blue gasket like that. Someone swapped that intake some time ago. I like this automotive CSI stuff, the mystery of the past being discovered years later...My Brother In Law has a 72 Duster here at my place. We removed the inner kick/door panels near the back seat and found a ball peen hammer and 3 frisbees. Two were "Wham-O"s and had a 1972 date molded in them. I wonder if they were slipped in on the assembly line.

hello looks like we have very close siblings of the same color. mine dose not have grill emblem like yours. good job already going to work on it. more pics.

up to may 8 2016 006.jpg

That intake manifold is odd. I have never seen a 2 barrel intake with runners that looked like those. It reminds me of a 4 barrel Holley Strip/Street Dominator. Are there any numbers or any identifying marks on the intake?
I've also never seen an engine hoist used to pull an intake. Do you have a bad back? If so, great idea to save yourself.
The intake gaskets on the engine are blue. They do not look original. Fel Pro makes a blue gasket like that. Someone swapped that intake some time ago. I like this automotive CSI stuff, the mystery of the past being discovered years later...My Brother In Law has a 72 Duster here at my place. We removed the inner kick/door panels near the back seat and found a ball peen hammer and 3 frisbees. Two were "Wham-O"s and had a 1972 date molded in them. I wonder if they were slipped in on the assembly line.
Yes bad back to say the least.....I'll check for numbers on both the carb and manifold. Yes is was a Felpro gasket and I also knew immediately that this was Bubbafied as well. Who knows maybe I can get $omething for the carb if its rare.

Its amazing what new Cragars can do to a pile of junk!
IMG_7632.JPG

Ok looks like I have a problem Houston. Houston? Hello Houston? When I got the car the steering column was loose. The two nuts from the steering column bracket were not connect and I have no clue why. It was just kinda hanging there. I am getting a sinking feeling I now might know why it was not attached but can't bring myself to say it right now.
After I bolted the steering column up snug I could not fit the key in the ignition cylinder. I had trouble with the old duplicate key when I tried it getting ready to tow it. Figured the cylinder was shot as there were wrench marks on the cylinder tabs like it was forced at some point. Its currently in PARK and the rear wheels spin along with the drive shaft when I put the wheel on.
OK I am a 4 speed guy all my cars have been 4 speed and know nothing about automatic transmissions but this seems like a bad sign. What are the possible causes for what I am seeing here?

1. Bad tranny (Reminds me of an old job > I used to know this girl I mean guy never mind....)
  2. Bad tranny linkage or out of adjustment ? I assume there is some linkage from the cokumn shiter to the trans but I have no clure on the arrangement.
  3. Miss-alignment on the steering column or god forbid a broken steering column? I hate working on steering columns I said never again or I will shoot myself with my 9MM or was it the shotgun??
  4. Or something else?????

Last edited:
Oh and the carburetor kick-down was disconnected as well....just thought I would throw that in.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back