• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice for 1970 Sport Satellite

Sounds like multiple issues. Shift linkage needs adjusting(not going in to park?). Steering column needs to be checked out...maybe pull the wheel and get in there to inspect/replace cylinder. Kickdown linkage MUST be connected....damage can occur in a short while without it.

Sounds like multiple issues. Shift linkage needs adjusting(not going in to park?). Steering column needs to be checked out...maybe pull the wheel and get in there to inspect/replace cylinder. Kickdown linkage MUST be connected....damage can occur in a short while without it.
Thanks PP1RT for the response!!!!
Yes, I ordered a nos cylinder lock a few days ago been there done that on my 71 vette. I actually ordered a new Grant GT steering wheel as well. Any info on what I need to look for in the column when appart alignmet etc? Also any info on the linkage adjustment wouls be great. I do have the 1970 Service Manual maybe that will. E in there???? Youtube????

Interior is Christmas like (Red and Green)....Do these look like stock seats to you? I know the interior was originally green, just curious if the stitching indicates originality or a redo. The plastic seat backs are also matching red. Either way they are like new
IMG_7638.JPG

IMG_7639.JPG

Is it just me or does this totally not seem like a 14k mile car?????

Jeff
Its says 14k on the OD but it must be 114k abused miles. The OD numbers all looked straight and I thought that after the OD tripped over the numbers no longer would be straight but I guess thats a myth?

Its says 14k on the OD but it must be 114k abused miles. The OD numbers all looked straight and I thought that after the OD tripped over the numbers no longer would be straight but I guess thats a myth?
114k seems a lot more like it.....
Still, cool car man!

Jeff

Ok so I replaced the lock cylinder this evening. Was a piece of cake compared to the GM tilt telescopic on the 71 Vette I restored! I purchased a really cool lock >> I love what you can still get these days! Made in Illinois (on Lawrence Ave) too! Now I have to see why Bubba disconnected the linkage to the trans. I bet it was because the lock was FUBAR! What do you think?
IMG_7679.JPG

IMG_7689.JPG

Well the old wheel was shot and I do like to keep as much as possible stock but got a great deal on this baby. Waiting for the install kit....#tities
IMG_7696.JPG
IMG_7695.JPG

After installing the new ignition lock cylinder I was able to get under the car and see that the transmission linkage WAS disconnected to the shifter (auto 3 speed). This must have explained why the rear wheels spun previously. Unfortunately in Park the rear wheels still spin. So I am wondering if I set the shifter up correctly or have a bigger problem. I assumed that the transmission linkage pushed as far toward the rear of the car is in the Park position. Is this correct? If so what else should I be looking for to explain why the rear wheels still spin? The rear wheels freely rotate in any trans position :( Oh and the drive shaft IS also rotating so the rear end is connecting.

The shift linkages have all been sorted out, I took all the linkages off and wire brushed them clean to the bare metal. Replaced all the bushings. The steering column is mounted and secured and the new Grant steering wheel has been mounted! Feels great and is very functional. So far that's all squared away.

Ok so I tried to clamp off the broken water pump heater nipple (can I say nipple?) and it just crumbled. The water pump is shot! I did not want to have to replace it because I have to mess with the AC but now I really have no choice. The material and age of the pump is very poor like VERY poor. Here is a picture of where I am at now!

IMG_7858.JPG

The shift linkages have all been sorted out, I took all the linkages off and wire brushed them clean to the bare metal. Replaced all the bushings. The steering column is mounted and secured and the new Grant steering wheel has been mounted! Feels great and is very functional. So far that's all squared away.

Ok so I tried to clamp off the broken water pump heater nipple (can I say nipple?) and it just crumbled. The water pump is shot! I did not want to have to replace it because I have to mess with the AC but now I really have no choice. The material and age of the pump is very poor like VERY poor. Here is a picture of where I am at now!

View attachment 543709
Making some serious progress!
You'll be happier in the end with the new water pump....just getrdone!

Jeff

Making some serious progress!
You'll be happier in the end with the new water pump....just getrdone!

Jeff
Thanks Jeff ofr the encouragement...it does help as it can discouraging unraveling years of wear bubba mods and neglect etc.

D3F0DA26-C170-464F-A0C4-940BC78D5BEF.jpeg
FE8F4AD1-5DF1-40D1-B7AC-2E54A3474F32.jpeg
00932E2C-E7D4-4527-B95C-7738D2C90FCE.jpeg
3D06DEC9-FD4C-48FA-A4F7-2456FADAD8B6.jpeg
Got all the accessories off and manifold installed!

Before you reinstall everything, clean and paint it.....best time while it's all apart....you be super glad you did!!!

Jeff

Before you reinstall everything, clean and paint it.....best time while it's all apart....you be super glad you did!!!

Jeff
Hi Jeff, Paint what exactly? I painted the fan and water pump pully. I dont plan on painting the water pump or manifold as the aluminum for now looks to good. Are you talking anout the block? Heck at this point I have no idea if she will fire up.

Last edited:
Looks like you're making great progress but if you ever need an extra set of hands let me know. I'm in Ahwatukee so I'm pretty close. It would give me a place to drive my charger to.

Looks like you're making great progress but if you ever need an extra set of hands let me know. I'm in Ahwatukee so I'm pretty close. It would give me a place to drive my charger to.
Thanks neighbor! I might just do that! Would love to see your Charger! I think there is a boat load of work on this boat! When I bought it I was told it ran fine just needed gas lol!

Hi Jeff, Paint what exactly? I painted the fan and water pump pully. I dont plan on painting the water pump or manifold as the aluminum for now looks to good. Are you talking anout the block? Heck at this point I have no idea if she will fire up.
Paint the heads, block, and various brackets etc....anything and everything you can.....
Easier now than when it's all assembled. ...lots of people paint engines while it's still in the car...you won't get every inch, but you can get 99% of what people will see when you open the hood.

It'll fire back up....never fear!!!!!

Jeff

Auto Transport Service
Back