• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice for panel replacement

TexasRoadRunner68

Local time
2:53 PM
Reaction score
I have a 68 charger that is totally stripped. I need to change most panels, like the floor, rear crossmember, etc. I have it leveled on jack stands. Is anything likely to shift if I brace it with square tubing well before replacing? It’s literally a bare shell, I am hoping if I weld in braces itll hold. I can’t really do a jig or chassis table in my garage.

Thoughts?

Did this car on block's. Had it setting on 8 points. Did not have to put cross member in. Replaced upper and lower cowl and had 1 inch square tube bracing from the A pillars to the floor and some across the from side to side. I measured every point before starting and every thing lines up. Did pillar post and hinge pillars also. The biggest thing is not to take the car all apart. do a piece at a time. Make the measurement before taking apart. That is very thing to do. I must admit that I have a rear window problem but the after market metal we get can through you a curve. Lesson learned. Wish you the best of luck. Take your time and double check all the time. Don't weld to much in one place keep the weld's cool with air after each weld.

Check out a channel on YouTube by user junkerup.
His fabrication skills, specifically on his beloved Chargers and without the use of tables and such,
is quite remarkable.

I watch him all the time. He truly does amazing work, and his dedication to keeping these old Chargers on the road is impressive. I wonder how many he has saved so far?

These bodies are so light when stripped down that I doubt half of what people do is necessary. The combination between the rockers and roof is where the strength and rigidity is, if yours are solid I don't think you have a lot to worry about. I'd start getting concerned if your replacing a roof, rockers or maybe quarters.. hell I replaced my whole roof without bracing. I put it on stands at the front leaf mounting location and where the front rails meet the cross member and took accurate measurements everywhere for comparison. Went back together with zero movement but as they say better safe than sorry.

Auto Transport Service
Back