• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice needed - electric fuel pump system for Carb

When we went to 3" exhaust there wasn't much room for any kind of external fuel pump. The in tank pumps run cooler plus the 1/2" line should be easier on the pump since its always returning flow. The 1/2 can certainly flow the volume too, it's not much fun getting a hard launch with slicks and then the car dying at the 1/8 mile.:rolleyes:

Just make sure any in-tank lines are rated for submersible (and ethanol if in California). Ask Dennis H about this as his first supplier made that mistake. I've heard great things about Tanks Inc.

As for your last mechanical pump, why not Carter mechanical? They seem to be more reliable.

Looks like the kit on summit comes with the 255 walbro, which is what I would need. But I do see on tanks inc. website you can choose. I noticed on the kit, the mounting plate is a brass plate with brass NPT fittings, unlike your black one... maybe they changed it?

Also, you said you're running 8 AN ends with a 1/2" line. The kit says the mounting plate has a 1/4" NPT for supply and return lines. Is that the same as yours, but you attached 8 AN ends to the 1/4" NPT's so you can run your 1/2" braided line?
Ours looks different because we used two 90 degree fittings so the lines are pointed forward.

I agree in tank pumps are the best way to go. But that said I am an older guy from the 70's when I was racing my 340 Dart. It ran low 12's with 11.90's best and I ran the Holley red pump that needs no external regulator as its set around 6.5 psi. Yes you can hear it but I grew up wanting to hear that fuel pump running so I knew it was working. Anyway now I have my 63 pump gas street/strip car that I use a stock tank and a 3/8 sending unit and 3/8 line. I actually had the red pump on it right by the fuel tank and the car ran 10.70's with the red Holley pump and my 850 DP carb. I switched to the black pump to be sure I had enough fuel and it still ran 10.70's best on good days but I have an ext regulator with the black pump thats a deadhead regulator. The black pump is rated a tad higher then the blue pump. I figure if I have fuel problems I will change it but its worked great with no problems at all other then I can hear the pump and I like that. The car is 99% a street car I race once or twice a year and its gone 125 mph in the 1/4 so does not seem to have any fuel starving problems. But I dont blame anyone for going with an in tank pump as they are the best by far. But when I was growing up and even older not many if any used in tank pumps in our hotrods. We have one in my sons Dart but its EFI so that was by far the way we were going on that. The pump stays cooler in the tabk and thats always a plus. Good luck with yours how ever you do it. Ron

what fuel pressure regulator did you use on your Aero Gen 2 stealth tank?
I used this one. But this is for fuel injection. It can be dialed down for carburetor as I used one on my blowthru turbo jet boat also. For the car, I ran about 1 foot of fuel line from tank to regulator "in", 1 foot from regulator "return" back to tank and then regulator "out" to factory 3/8" hard-line. Jumper wire fuel pump on and set pressure at whatever pressure your carb/floats like. On the boat, tank to fuel log on double pumper, line from other end of fuel log to regulator "in", line from regulator "return" to tank. Set pressure at 7psi for my carb and hooked up reference vacuum line to port. As boost goes up, so does fuel pressure at 1:1 psi. For the blowthru turbo setup, I prefer to regulate after the carb. For efi, before to simplify plumbing. If it were just a carburetor, I'd go before also so simplify the fuel lines.
Screenshot_20210423-102321_Amazon Shopping.jpg

just my two cents here but i run a mallory comp 140 electric pump and it is pretty quiet for an electric fuel pump, It is a gerotor design and has a light high pitched hum sound instead of the holley red pump i had which made a moderately loud sort of buzzing noise. Its hard to describe the holley pump sound, its just the gerotor pump seems quieter and more pleasant of a sound, and after the engine starts up it matters not about pump noise because you cant hear it anyways.

Its hard to describe the holley pump sound, its just the gerotor pump seems quieter and more pleasant of a sound, and after the engine starts up it matters not about pump noise because you cant hear it anyways.
I've installed, & personally run, a number of electric pumps. Red, blue, carter, whatever... they're all noisy. Absolutely. When my engine is running, and you hear the sweet sound of my exhaust system, you don't even hear my holley gerotor.

just my two cents here but i run a mallory comp 140 electric pump and it is pretty quiet for an electric fuel pump, It is a gerotor design and has a light high pitched hum sound instead of the holley red pump i had which made a moderately loud sort of buzzing noise. Its hard to describe the holley pump sound, its just the gerotor pump seems quieter and more pleasant of a sound, and after the engine starts up it matters not about pump noise because you cant hear it anyways.
how many miles have you put on it? Fairly reliable?

Holley electric pumps are all going to be loud, no matter how you mount it or how much insulation you put it. I hated mine (black pump) and I also ran a 3/8" return line regulator. In tank costs more up front but they are quiet. I have a Walbro 450lph in mine and I love it. Buy once, cry once.

If you are that picky about noise you will always hear the external pump. But with 600 horses don't you have an exhaust that should cover it?! Just kidding. The pump should stay cool if you run a fuel return, dead-heading it will heat it up. For a nice clean install I'd say go with the in-tank.
"The pump should stay cool if you run a fuel return, dead-heading it will heat it up"
Not true. The pump only runs when
there's a demand for fuel, and the carb
uses it as it's delivered.
What burns up an electric pump is
installing it as a "puller" instead of
a "pusher". Mount the electric below
and towards the rear of the fuel tank.
(P.S..I can barely hear it when it's
running, and don't run a return line.)

20190620_165859.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back