• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice on tires

Pops1967GTX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:22 PM
Reaction score
Hey, you probable seem this thread before. But I'm complicating the purchase of firestone redline tires 775x14.3/8 " for my GTX.. Bias ply are $197.00 + $20 deliver fee. Radials are $247.00. I got this info from my local tire guy. Price...bias or radial, which is the better choice. And What do they mean by wide oval?

I like radials for better handling vs a bias ply tire. There's all kinds of info on the net about tire construction and you'd come out ahead by doing a google search on the subject because there's quite a bit of info on it if you want to get somewhat technical on it......you must be pretty young if you've never heard of a wide oval :D

The wide oval is a name brand Firestone carried back in the day and are in repop by Coker,etc.
If you are looking for a correct looking sidewall with a redline pinstripe,plus be able to enjoy driving the car,go radial.
2157514 is a perfect size and is only one tenth taller than the 7.75-14 bias tire.
Still fit your factory rims no problem.
Coker sells their own redline radial and is priced at $199.00 as per their website.
Bottom line is better ride quality,better pricing,and get the look you are after.
Hope this helps.

http://store.cokertire.com/p215-75r14-coker-classic-3-8-redline.html

Radials would be my choice to for improved handling. The term Wide Oval refers to the profile created by the cross section of the tire and rim combined to create an oval shape.

i went with bias plys on my car just because they look era correct on the car and thats what it would have looked like back in the day and thats what i wanted and it doesnt drive bad at all sure a radial tire will definetly out perform a bias ply any day but i dont think the radials look as cool on these old cars as the old bias plys do, its what ever you want to do with the car way out the pros and cons on both and then decide.

Attachments

• 65 coronet 010.jpg
    65 coronet 010.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
I put radial bfg on my gtx...I wanted a better ride and traction...
Petty Blue 67 GTX

Auto Transport Service
Back