• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AFB or AVS? What is this one?

64SF

Local time
10:05 AM
Reaction score
Is this an AFB or an AVS. Had a metal tag with the number 3859SA stamped on it. Worth rebuilding? CFM? Thanks

IMG_0181.jpg

Thanks guys. I've recently acquired a 64 Sport Fury with a 361/automatic. I was pleasantly surprised when I pulled the air cleaner On my way! Of the previous owners had replaced the 2 barrel with the pictured carb and intake! I'll be starting a thread soon to tell the story. :blush:

those carbs never had a cfm rating. they're about 4.9sqin's of venturii area (that's how carter used to rate them). it's probably about 475cfm, maybe 500 but no more than that. they are good reliable carbs.

You can tell the AVS real easy as it will have a spring loaded air valve on the secondary side. AFB's use a weighted air valve down inside the secondary venturi area as you cant see it unless you look down inside the secondary throat. Ron

Auto Transport Service
Back