• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Affordable quality AC leak detector recommendations

I can't believe a $27 detector would be any good. The dealers and pros spend upwards of $500 for a quality one. There has to be a difference.

If the system is still under pressure, dish soap applied with q tips to each joint works. Just watch for bubbles.

AC leak detector and reasonable price never seem to go together when I am looking. Just had to replace my Inficon d tek with their newer 3 version. I only mess with r22 and r410a however.

Dye light is the only way to be sure, the sniffer can mislead you imo.

Been finding leaks no one else could for over 30 years, the H10 is the best, wouldn’t use any other.
391D368A-4AB2-45E5-9AF9-881F30C0EBFA.png

Dye light is the only way to be sure, the sniffer can mislead you imo.

Dye is the most misleading, plus it’s a mess. Oil comes out in a mist and is easily blown around. It doesn’t go away and can’t be detected in areas you can’t see.

Glad someone has good luck with those, I do wonder about calibration issues with the sniffer I have that’s why I always just used the dye kit I have.

Been finding leaks no one else could for over 30 years, the H10 is the best, wouldn’t use any other. View attachment 1134715
I used to own 1 of those 20 years ago or so. Worked great for a few years but then started having issues with it. Was sent in for repair twice before I gave up on it. Seems like none of them are reliable for more than a few years, or maybe that is just my luck....

I used to own 1 of those 20 years ago or so. Worked great for a few years but then started having issues with it. Was sent in for repair twice before I gave up on it. Seems like none of them are reliable for more than a few years, or maybe that is just my luck....

The one I bought 30 years ago still works great. I send it in ever 4-5 years to be calibrated. Of course I had to buy new ones for the new refrigerant and a battery one for when there’s no outlet. Only time I’ve had trouble is when I sucked up water, but I guess that’s kinda my fault.

Auto Transport Service
Back