• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

After paying $12/qt for oil in Florida...

Krooser

Local time
10:49 PM
Reaction score
It's nice to come back home to some more reasonable prices at my local parts store ... $2.54 for an oil filter beats $8-12 at O'Reilly's.

$17+ for 5 quarts of semi-synthetic is $5 more than I paid last fall but still less than most other stores.

Before my yearly FL trip I bought Mobil 1 for $21 for a 5 qt jug on sale. But my 267k Buick drank three times the usual amount of oil during the month I was gone... it did not like that slippery oil.

After using three qts in 2,000 miles I cheaped out and put in a quart of 30W before I drive home... That one bottle virtually reduced usage back to 1 qt / 3000 miles.

Soon I will fill the pan on my new to me 318 that has an unknown history to me. I have 5 gallons of my favorite 30W CenPeCo race oil in stock but I will likely fill the pan with 10-30 dino oil from Federated.

I'm not an oil snob but I do have a few favorites.

IMG_20240608_142659168.jpg

Dang. That's cheap.

I use Valvoline 30 10/30 5/30 syn blend and that has been $30 per 5 qt jug for several years.

The only $12/qt oil I've bought was the Ferrari spec my 1.4T calls for.
That's no longer available in the US, so I had to downgrade to bmw spec and it's a bit cheaper.

OK, I just checked O'reily's and wal-mart.

$30 at O'Reily's but $20 at wal-mart.

Time to pick up a few jugs.
IIRC everything is due for a change soon.

5L. jug of 0W20 Penzoil or Castrol full synthetic oil for my 2020 Grand Cherokee sells for about $65.00Can. here in Ontario. I used to wait for half price sales at Canadian Tire or Walmart, and buy a couple of jugs. I have not seen those sales for a couple of years; best now is 25% off. Of course, my Jeep takes 6L. at an oil change, so I have to pay $15.00 for that extra litre.
I do not use synthetic in my old cars.

5L. jug of 0W20 Penzoil or Castrol full synthetic oil for my 2020 Grand Cherokee sells for about $65.00Can. here in Ontario. I used to wait for half price sales at Canadian Tire or Walmart, and buy a couple of jugs. I have not seen those sales for a couple of years; best now is 25% off. Of course, my Jeep takes 6L. at an oil change, so I have to pay $15.00 for that extra litre.
I do not use synthetic in my old cars.
I hadn't used it for years but the price was good enough to try it.

I used plenty of Mobil 1 in my E350 van when I was hauling automotive parts around the country.

When I bought the van with 105,000 miles I tried 10w30 dino oil but the oil temps were too high IMHO. I ran that van hard with heavy loads grossing 10,000lbs on most loads.

I switched to Mobil 1 because it lowered the oil temps and was available everywhere.

I sold that van after 2 1/2 years and 385,000 miles. Went to Mexico and lived on to haul used auto parts south and to towbar used cars back to Mexico.

Last edited:
I don't have any issues running Valvoline or Motorcraft syn blend in my older vehicles.

My 1.4T gets full syn Mobil 1 High Euro spec.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back