• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aftermarket intake for 383 with same carb height as stock?

On my 69 Bee with the Ramcharger setup which I would think is the same height as your 70? I used a Weiand Action +, a 440 air cleaner base, Quick Fuel 850 mech secondary, and a 3/16" carb spacer.
I have all the measurements of the different intakes I was looking at somewhere. Had a Holley Street Dominator that I wanted to use, but it was to high. If I remember correctly it was 15/16" taller than a stock intake.

I've been through this, or something similar. You are correct that the 440 ramcharger base will give you and extra 1". BUT, you also have about 1" extra clearance already. The 440 base would give you 2" clearance on a 383.

Anyway... I ran a holley on a stock 440 intake with the same issue you have. All I did was machine off the side of the intake, just below the carburetor mount, about 1/8" and ground down "something" (can't remember) on one of the carburetor stops or something (?). It doesn't take much grinding and that holley will sit right down on a stock intake and work just fine.
This.
I haven't done a stocker, but I did on a street dominator. It needed clearance for the rear accel arm linkage.
Tape the carb opening and get a vacuum and grind.

I'd just port the **** out of the stock manifold with a die grinder.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, I haven't read the whole thread, but..... the paper edelbrock catalog has a page with the heights of all their manifolds.

at one time I had a 383 in my car and I replaced the iron intake with a Mopar Performance M1. But it was not the M1 that most of us know, the single plane. It was a dual plane that was basically a stock intake but cast in aluminum. Exactly stock height. I think I bought it from summit but as usually happens they stop selling these niche products after a while.

On my dads 69 Superbee he used a 440 setup with his 383 torker intake.

Any measurements yet?
OK, so here is where I took my measurements from. I laid a level across the intake carb surface. I then measured from the block surface where the valley pan bolts down to the bottom of the level. The front is 3" and the back is 4".

So here is the data I have collected so far:

Edelbroch Performer 383 front 3-3/8", rear 4-1/4"
Weiand Action Plus front 3-3/8", rear 4-1/4"
Edelbrock DP4B 3-1/4", rear 4-1/8"
Stock 3", rear 4"

You're generally correct within the measurent accuracy. The Edelbrock Performer and DP4B are the same, and 3/8" taller than stock

You're generally correct within the measurent accuracy. The Edelbrock Performer and DP4B are the same, and 3/8" taller than stock
All those measurements were taken from the Motortrend shootout article. The only one of my own is the stock one. Close enough I guess for what I'm trying to accomplish.

I have decided to just throw a 1/2" spacer on the current intake and just run my 440 base (I'm lucky to have both versions) for now to do the testing I want to do.

On my 69 Bee with the Ramcharger setup which I would think is the same height as your 70? I used a Weiand Action +, a 440 air cleaner base, Quick Fuel 850 mech secondary, and a 3/16" carb spacer.
I have all the measurements of the different intakes I was looking at somewhere. Had a Holley Street Dominator that I wanted to use, but it was to high. If I remember correctly it was 15/16" taller than a stock intake.

If you have a B motor, which I think you do, the street dominator is 1/2” higher at the front and 5/8” higher at the back. So it should work with the 440 base too, maybe not with the 3/16” spacer too but I can’t imagine it would be that tight. I just used modelling clay at least 3/4” high in 5 different spots on top of my airgrabber air cleaner (stock intake and edelbrock carb) and it didn’t touch the airgrabber or hood anywhere. I think there is a little leeway here with all this too. The car is a 69 runner if that makes a difference.

If you have a B motor, which I think you do, the street dominator is 1/2” higher at the front and 5/8” higher at the back. So it should work with the 440 base too, maybe not with the 3/16” spacer too but I can’t imagine it would be that tight. I just used modelling clay at least 3/4” high in 5 different spots on top of my airgrabber air cleaner (stock intake and edelbrock carb) and it didn’t touch the airgrabber or hood anywhere. I think there is a little leeway here with all this too. The car is a 69 runner if that makes a difference.

Well, I ended up just buying a 1/2" spacer and using my 440 base. Long term I am going to put a stock 1970 manifold back on the car so I can run my 383 base (I need the 440 base for the other car). Seems to all be working well for now.

I agree about some leeway there. The only thing a guy doesn't want is too tight of a seal and it ends up damaging the ram air box. Those things get brittle after 50 years. ;-)

Auto Transport Service
Back