• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aftermarket temp gauge install

mjb765

Local time
5:39 AM
Reaction score
I am going to install and Autometer temp gauge in my 69 383 Super Bee. Other that the spot where the factory sender goes, is there any other place in the block to put the new temp probe? I would like to retain function of the stock gauge even though it is not that accurate.

Thanks

:icon_thumright: same question here except mine is 73 400 ...

Mine has more than one port on top one to the drivers side of the water hose 2 on the other side. Mine is also an autometer cobalt and is on the drivers side port. But it is an after market pump.

You could remove the 1/2" plug in the water pump housing next to the heater hose tube and get a reducer fitting to accept the new probe. Or get a different style plug with a flat top and drill and tap it for your probe. The sender should be in the water pump housing. Here is a picture of the plug I am referring to. 100_6316.jpg

I will go look for that one.....Thanks

Sounds like you want both temp gauges to function, am i right? Any reason you prefer that? For me, disabling the factory gauge was a non issue because if the two gauges disagree, i'll believe the aftermarket on every time - so no need for the factory.

I just removed the old sending unit and replaced it with the new one that came with the gauge then ran a new wire from the sending unit to the aftermarket gauge. Then I deoxidized the old connector, filled it with grease, taped it and hid it in the harness.

Sounds like you want both temp gauges to function, am i right? Any reason you prefer that? For me, disabling the factory gauge was a non issue because if the two gauges disagree, i'll believe the aftermarket on every time - so no need for the factory.

I just removed the old sending unit and replaced it with the new one that came with the gauge then ran a new wire from the sending unit to the aftermarket gauge. Then I deoxidized the old connector, filled it with grease, taped it and hid it in the harness.

I would like the factory gauge to function if possible.....I do see your point though......but if they could both work it would be nice...not that I would believe the factory over the AutoMeter.....

Just checked....I found that plug....Perfect!!!!! Now to find the reducer.

Thank everybody.

I have the same plug. Now, mine is the same size as the sensor coming out.
It is electric, not mechanical. Will that need an adapter for that spot?

you will not get an aftermarket sender to work in the original temp sender threaded hole..that is 1/8" pipe thread...the other one on the passenger side is 1/2" pipe thread if I remember....

you will not get an aftermarket sender to work in the original temp sender threaded hole..that is 1/8" pipe thread...the other one on the passenger side is 1/2" pipe thread if I remember....

Mine worked fine.

I used an impact to remove that plug.go forward a little bit and then backward.had to do this a few times and it finally came out,the gage I bought came with the adaptor to fit that size hole,mine is a mechanical gage,they are more accurate.

My gauge will be here today so hopefully I will get an adapter as well.

I am getting a mechanical gauge so the probe will be attached to the gauge

My plug was seized, no amount of heat or mechanical strength could get that dang thing out.

Mine is too......going to try again tomorrow.......if it doesn't come out, I guess I need a water pump housing to make this work....figures......

It may help the get the engine up to operating temp, then use a impact wrench to try and remove the plug. Good Luck!

It may help the get the engine up to operating temp, then use a impact wrench to try and remove the plug. Good Luck!

Thanks....the impact gun was my next thought......

Auto Transport Service
Back