• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Agreed Value Insurance - Not Garaged in CA

andrewwoz

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:19 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone have an agreed value auto policy in California on a vehicle that is not garaged? All the classic car companies I've looked at seem to require the car be stored in a locked garage. I have a daily driver (Tacoma) and I do have a garage but its pretty packed with motorcycles, and shoe horning the car in is going to be tough. My plan is to just keep a cover on it in the driveway, it's not even close to show quality so I'm not concerned with it being out covered in the elements in southern California.

I just can't seem to find a regular policy with agreed value or a classic policy without the garage requirement, I am willing to pay more for it as I understand the increased risk.

You could always say “yes” and if something happens, it was just coincidence that you had it parked in the driveway while moving stuff around in the garage. That’s the sneaky bitch *** way to get around it, I don’t recommend it.

Get stuff better organized in your garage so the car fit inside.

Have you called any? I know Hagerty, (who I use) is pretty easy to work with.

You could always say “yes” and if something happens, it was just coincidence that you had it parked in the driveway while moving stuff around in the garage. That’s the sneaky bitch *** way to get around it, I don’t recommend it.

Get stuff better organized in your garage so the car fit inside.

Yeah I don't love that either, I saw a thread on reddit where someone said they got a claim denied because Hagerty told them it wasn't parked in the garage, not sure how they came to that conclusion but not looking to test it.

Fitting it in the garage is my last resort, 7 motorcycles and a number of a machines/tools take up a lot of space. Working on moving to a house with a 3 car garage but want to make sure I'm covered correctly in the interim.

Have you called any? I know Hagerty, (who I use) is pretty easy to work with.

Thats a good point, I'll give that a shot tomorrow or Monday, thanks!

He lives (op) in Commiefornia. We don’t get rain or snow and when it does rain or snow, it’s never enough!

Does anyone have an agreed value auto policy in California on a vehicle that is not garaged? All the classic car companies I've looked at seem to require the car be stored in a locked garage. I have a daily driver (Tacoma) and I do have a garage but its pretty packed with motorcycles, and shoe horning the car in is going to be tough. My plan is to just keep a cover on it in the driveway, it's not even close to show quality so I'm not concerned with it being out covered in the elements in southern California.

I just can't seem to find a regular policy with agreed value or a classic policy without the garage requirement, I am willing to pay more for it as I understand the increased risk.
Are you talking about insuring the Tacoma or do you have a collector car? If the Tacoma, why would you want collector car insurance on a Tacoma? Collector car insurance companies won't insure a newer, non collector vehicle anyway

Are you talking about insuring the Tacoma or do you have a collector car? If the Tacoma, why would you want collector car insurance on a Tacoma? Collector car insurance companies won't insure a newer, non collector vehicle anyway

Sorry for the confusion (original post edited) I have a 69 Super Bee that I'm looking to get agreed value coverage on. I was just calling out the Tacoma as a number of threads I found when searching were guys that only had a classic and no daily driver and were having trouble getting coverage.

Pull Tacoma out. Pull Mopar in for foto if needed. Same circumstance here. J C Taylor, Upper Darby. Agreed value. High, dry, relatively safe. Blocked in carport by modern car that would have to be drug out first.

Obviously probably a last resort - but if you're not to worried about the car being outside and even being subject to theft but you want to drive it periodically you could always go with liability only - possibly liability coupled with collision and no comprehensive. Comprehensive is the coverage they're worried about. Theft - primarily. They might be open to that - if you were. Not a great option but just thinking for you .....

Beyond that who have you gone to? There are many 1st, 2nd, and 3rd option companies.

Hagerty will cover newer vehicles. I have my wife’s 2011 Challenger insured through them. I did insure the 68 Roadrunner first and then added the Challenger. They had to have photos of her car so they could determine it’s rarity. And they both had to be garaged.

23F5C96A-5225-4141-9602-375E1CC11390.png

6B75CA3D-93E6-40C8-94C2-E3CBD286045C.jpeg

Obviously probably a last resort - but if you're not to worried about the car being outside and even being subject to theft but you want to drive it periodically you could always go with liability only - possibly liability coupled with collision and no comprehensive. Comprehensive is the coverage they're worried about. Theft - primarily. They might be open to that - if you were. Not a great option but just thinking for you .....

Beyond that who have you gone to? There are many 1st, 2nd, and 3rd option companies.

I looked at Hagerty, Grundy, JC Taylor, American Collectors, American Modern, maybe one or two others I'm forgetting. I have just looked online at all of their "requirements" not called them.

Just CYA and get a storage locker/garage unit and be done with it, otherwise, sell it and move on with life!!

7 bikes how many people in your house ride? As said 69a100 storage garage for the Bee or bikes. Maybe hide a GPS tracker on what's in storage garage. Alarm system in storage garage.

Just CYA and get a storage locker/garage unit and be done with it, otherwise, sell it and move on with life!!

Not really into either of those options, the purpose of the thread was just to see if anyone knew of an insurance company that would do agreed value with no garage requirement, thanks for the input though!

7 bikes how many people in your house ride? As said 69a100 storage garage for the Bee or bikes. Maybe hide a GPS tracker on what's in storage garage. Alarm system in storage garage.

Bikes are all mine, I just like old Harleys

I looked at Hagerty, Grundy, JC Taylor, American Collectors, American Modern, maybe one or two others I'm forgetting. I have just looked online at all of their "requirements" not called them.
I would the. suggest you try some of the lesser tiered carriers. Particularly since you indicated this isn't for the long term. State Farm, American Family, geico, just run of the mill carriers that will do an agreed amount policy w/o the garage requirements. If it were me I'd be on the horn to discuss with one of their agents. You might also try American Assurant which you can access via Geico or a variety of brokers. My suggestions are only for short term ideas - for the long term get her garaged.

Auto Transport Service
Back