• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air compressor shopping

You said you want to use it for tools and a soda blaster? Have you read the threads on here about media blasting, and air compressor requirements? Everything you mentioned here is not entirely accurate -- save yourself some headaches and money and figure out just what you want to do. And, that nasty word you said; Budget? In our line of work there is NO such thing. It is what it is cost wise. I have a budget too for gasoline, I don't want to spend more than $1.50 a gallon, but, I'm always let down, and my budget is always blown. Blasting is a messy, nasty and dirty job, and if you're even contemplating doing this in your neighborhood, wow, you're in for a steep learning curve! Used Air Compressors are usually broken, and at the end of their life when they're listed. Air Compressors are a hard-working tool, and will always sell.

I bought a Quincy in 1989 and still works great.

You said you want to use it for tools and a soda blaster? Have you read the threads on here about media blasting, and air compressor requirements? Everything you mentioned here is not entirely accurate -- save yourself some headaches and money and figure out just what you want to do. And, that nasty word you said; Budget? In our line of work there is NO such thing. It is what it is cost wise. I have a budget too for gasoline, I don't want to spend more than $1.50 a gallon, but, I'm always let down, and my budget is always blown. Blasting is a messy, nasty and dirty job, and if you're even contemplating doing this in your neighborhood, wow, you're in for a steep learning curve! Used Air Compressors are usually broken, and at the end of their life when they're listed. Air Compressors are a hard-working tool, and will always sell.

Yes, the B word, Budget. There, I said it. I've got my student loans, bills, trying to pay for a vacation, a wedding, savings, making payments on my Mopar, so yes, there is a budget..... I can only do so much on my salary, sorry.

CFM. That's the be all and end all of any compressor. Don't worry about horsepower, Don't worry about tank size. Simply, get a compressor that will give you lots of CFM. My suggestion would be, get a unit that will give you at least 10cfm at 90 psi.

I have an old Champion 2 stage with an 80 gal tank that needs a little work and a motor. I need it gone. PM me and lets see if we can help each other IMG_1250.jpg

the one thing that I will add too all these post are if you buy a used one check out the storage tank I seen some that have exploded and injuring people due to rust inside ,some of the used ones look pretty nice but I would check the tanks

the one thing that I will add too all these post are if you buy a used one check out the storage tank I seen some that have exploded and injuring people due to rust inside ,some of the used ones look pretty nice but I would check the tanks
I'm prolly gonna buy new, I'm just starting out and I'll need it long term

I'm prolly gonna buy new, I'm just starting out and I'll need it long term
I am really trying to help here, not trying to criticize. In my shop my compressor is probably my most important tool. I got mine, a 2 stage Curtis with a 7.5HP 220 volt 40 amp motor/80 gallon tank off craigslist for $350.00 and it has been my best shop buddy for 4 years now. In your original post you did say you are looking for a shop compressor to run die-grinders, cut off wheels and do some blasting with. If your budget is just $4 to $5 hundred and you want to buy new and you are planning on a long term compressor to run air tools I do believe you are headed for a disappointment.

I stand by my earlier post about finding a used 2 stage cast iron oil lubed compressor with a 1725 RPM motor. You can find a good one on craigslist or at an auction. The newer junk compressors get a higher CFM rating by using a 3450 RPM motor that is self destructing the compressor every time you use it. You could probably get by with a new compressor in your price range for airing tires and blowing dust around but for long term heavier use I just don't see it...Again just trying to help as I have been there done that when it comes to a shop air compressor. You can find a used compressor within your budget that will last you for years.. I just looked on a statewide craigslist search engine for compressors , found three 2 stage (REAL INDUSTRIAL!!!!) compressors that if I were looking I would be interested in, a IR T-30 good looking like new for $500.00, a Champion with a 3 phase motor ( use a phase converter or change motors) for $800. The Champion looks good, and a 220 volt Quincy that the seller oblivious knew nothing about that just sold for $150.00

Rick

Last edited:
Resurrecting a really old thread here but I think it's still relevant. Just found a leak in the tank of my IR compressor. Now I could buy a new tank and swap the motor and pump but in the end, I'll still have a POS IR 5L5SS compressor that I've regretted buying years ago.

What do you guys think of this for home use; typical garage stuff. Some grinding, some cabinet blasting, some grinding, etc...

https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/Quincy-2V41C60VC-Air-Compressor/p855.html

If you buy a small one you will regret it. Buy the biggest one you can possibly afford. all the money you will spend on the smaller ones that you will be unhappy with since they won't do the job could have been put towards one that covers all your needs in one good compressor.
I whole heartedly agree w/ the above post ! I have a Lowes comp. that is too small and a piece of junk!!!

Quincy QT54 5hp 60 gallon 175psi 15.4 cfm @90 psi $1199.00 at Northern Equipment. Everything I do paint, blast cabinet, air tools. Works Great!

I ran the shop for decades on a 1 1/2 HP 2 stage with 60 gallon tank capacity. When I built my new shop I added a 500 gallon ASME tank I picked up at work for free and was able to sand blast for about 75#s of sand before the pressure dropped too much. 5 years ago I purchased a new Quincy 5 HP 2 stage with Quincy filters and a refrigerated dryer (for plasma cutting). Ya I paid a bunch, but it will last long after I'm dead. I'm a great proponent of extra volume (better electrical usage, longer compressor life).
Mike

I thought about buying a used IR compressor off of craigslist for next to half off, but I do need something. Most of my air tools are from harbor freight so I have to stop on occasion even with a 33gal compressor I was using to wait for it to catch up. I tried to use electric tools as much as possible for bodywork cutting but it'll get taxed using an air ratchet, but I think the 60gal would suffice for a very long time, I really wished I could afford a 2 grand compressor, if I could I would, among other tooling I need/want
The guy who painted my car is in his early sixties and has been doing auto body work since he was in his early teens. in addition he worked for GM as a body repairman for 30 years. He does lead work like it was done in the old days. My car was rough now its straight as a arrow. His repair work and paint is excellent. He has a excellent reputation and made a good living all his life at what he does. So whats the point of all this? His compressor is a 60 gallon single stage one. He uses electric tools, that compressor and his hands with the skills he has acquired over a lifetime.
Buy the best you can afford on your budget , increase your skills, build up to a better job in your career, get some more despoible income, then someday buy better tools and dont sweat anything else

Auto Transport Service
Back