• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air filter too small?

You can also remove the carb stud and use a bolt if that's a concern. On my car I raced it the way I drove it on the street, went to the track with air cleaner on the car ran 9's in the 1/8th. Took off air cleaner and it went 8's this was also with drop base and 2in filter

For max airflow, use a K&N filter. They also flow more compared to paper elements when they become blocked with dust, which is inevitable.

You need to be careful with drop base ACs that the lid does not create a flow restriction if it is too close to the base. There may be a formula for this minimum area, but a the least I would calculate the area of the 4 throttle bores & make sure the above area is at least that amount & preferably greater.

I agree with that. I like to see at a minimum 2-1/2 inches but would rather have pretty much as much as I can get. Within reason….

Ir going through the hood is not an option, that’s one thing, going through the hood is opening up possibilities. More power is coming!

After I put in a air/fuel gauge I got to see a couple things.

Aluminum scoop with small. Round gauze filter would start to run rich at higher rpm. Test without filter did not go rich, so filter did not flow enough air at high RPMs.

Found baseplate with 2” of drop and 3” filter would cause ratio to flutter at higher RPM. Figured this was from turbulence caused from lid being too close to carb.

Added a K&N gauze filter top that seems to have helped as A/F ratio is steady at high RPMs.

Scoop with small round gauze filter, did not want to cut hood so just ran with it off. Helps keep it cooler also as I vapor lock on hot days.
Scoop.jpg

Managed to fit this manifold under flat 72 Satellite hood w/440 with 2"drop base. Front of air cleaner top barely touches hood, so I still might be restricting air flow a bit.

scoop2.jpg

Scoop with small round gauze filter, did not want to cut hood so just ran with it off. Helps keep it cooler also as I vapor lock on hot days.
View attachment 1285868

Managed to fit this manifold under flat 72 Satellite hood w/440 with 2"drop base. Front of air cleaner top barely touches hood, so I still might be restricting air flow a bit.

View attachment 1285878
You got a Victor under a flat hood?!? I'm impressed!

Auto Transport Service
Back