• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air Grabber Air Cleaner Base questions

AARTA

Local time
2:32 AM
Reaction score
I am at a loss of how to identify the difference of 1969 and the 1970-72 base plates. I am thinking that there are two different bases for each of the production types. The 440 being taller should be different than the 383. I would think it is different for both styles, but unable to find any documentation of what to look for. Thanks for looking and hopefully I can find out the differences. I am working on a 1970 Coronet factory 4 speed car, bucket seats and factory AC. It is a factory black car with black interior. Only one I have seen, but probably others are out there.

I am at a loss of how to identify the difference of 1969 and the 1970-72 base plates. I am thinking that there are two different bases for each of the production types. The 440 being taller should be different than the 383. I would think it is different for both styles, but unable to find any documentation of what to look for. Thanks for looking and hopefully I can find out the differences. I am working on a 1970 Coronet factory 4 speed car, bucket seats and factory AC. It is a factory black car with black interior. Only one I have seen, but probably others are out there.
The 69 air cleaners have 2 wing nuts (even the 4 barrel) and the 70-72 baseplates only have one nut/stud

The 69 uses the big oval air filter, the 70 up uses the standard HP round filter.

70 Bee

P1020488.JPG

@AARTA What model of 70 coronet and what engine size?

Since you have AC and manual trans your car didn't have a 440 or air grabber hood. So it's narrowing down the air cleaner choices.

Is this going to be factory correct or are you adding things on?

The 69 air cleaners have 2 wing nuts (even the 4 barrel) and the 70-72 baseplates only have one nut/stud
I am considering adding it on, as I have the hood and ductwork. On looking at OEM and aftermarket, they say the bases are for a specific motor, but no mention of the different heights of the air cleaner base. I am using a stock carb as well.

How to tell 340, 383, 400 and 440 4-barrel Ramcharger and Air Grabber air cleaners apart.
The 383 and 400 engines are shorter than the 340 and 440 engines so the air cleaner base needs to be taller to seal to the hood. The 340 and 440 ones are the same height. You can measure them a couple ways to determine which one you have.

Thanks to Tim Bernardin for the following images showing the difference between two 1969 air cleaners. Click on the images for larger views.

Click here for larger view.

1970-1972
This style with the small round lid is similar but measures differently at the crossbar. Reader Mike Brodin provided the following measurements.

Height from bottom of air cleaner throat to top of crossbar

383/400 - 2 1/2"
340/440 - 2"
QuickBpBp from Moparts provided the following images. If you set the air cleaner base on a flat surface, such as a table, the carburetor throat for the 383 and 400 will sit completely on the table. On the 340 and 440, the outer edge of the air cleaner will hit the table and the carburetor throat will not. You should be able to slip your fingers underneath it.

1970-1972

Thanks to everyone who helped on this dilemma. With the info on Nicks and the supporting pictures here I now know what base I need to look for. I might have one in a box that I haven't opened since the move.

If your using the stock A/C compressor the base plate won't clear it without modification... If you use a Sanden compressor it can be done, tight but it fits..

Auto Transport Service
Back