• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air grabber seal fitting issues

Well 3/8” is pretty much the difference in height of the base between a 383 and 440. So is this the original air cleaner base to the car?
Well if using 440 base it wouldn’t matter because of 383 low deck either can be used but 383 base on 440 would cause issues because of the taller height

I recently finished restoration on my 1969 roadrunner. I purchased an air grabber seal / gasket for the duct to base from Detroit Muscle tech. My issue is the seal is bunching up on rear of the air cleaner lid and putting a lot of pressure on the original plastic ductwork and raising the center of my hood up about 3/8". This is a pretty much stock application from original Carb, air cleaner base, intake, gasket sizes, ductwork, etc.. I tried moving the seal rearward as much as I could. Anyone have this issue and resolve it?

View attachment 1355002

View attachment 1355003

View attachment 1355004

View attachment 1355005
Well, I'm not a b-body expert but I do believe your air cleaner base is on backward.

I recently finished restoration on my 1969 roadrunner. I purchased an air grabber seal / gasket for the duct to base from Detroit Muscle tech. My issue is the seal is bunching up on rear of the air cleaner lid and putting a lot of pressure on the original plastic ductwork and raising the center of my hood up about 3/8". This is a pretty much stock application from original Carb, air cleaner base, intake, gasket sizes, ductwork, etc.. I tried moving the seal rearward as much as I could. Anyone have this issue and resolve it?

View attachment 1355002

View attachment 1355003

View attachment 1355004

View attachment 1355005
What did you ever figure out for this problem? I am having the same issue.

What did you ever figure out for this problem? I am having the same issue.
I have not resolved it. Unfortunately, it is still the same way. I spoke with the Manufacture, about 6 months ago and he assured me that they were going to look into it. He did say that the seal was made to original specs. I tried everything I could to get the hood seal to go more towards the firewall when closed but at the end of it the I.D. of the seal is only 3/8"-1/2" larger than the O.D. of the lid, that's fine for side to side but when closing the hood front to back and coming down at an angle, it needs more room at the rear of the seal to clear the lid.

You have one of two problems:
A) The seal is not good and is causing problems with a stock setup.

or

B) You don't have a stock setup that is causing the seal to have problems.

Another thing to verify (hopefully I didn't miss this in earlier posts): Are you using a factory intake manifold? An aftermarket manifold is likely taller than the stock unit. Honestly, I find it unlikely that a poorly manufactured seal would cause these issues. Either way, I think you need to verify which issue you have. It would be good to do some measuring to verify where your base plate sits when the hood is closed. One way to get a decent look is to set up your cell phone under the hood and take a video. Of course there are many other possible ways to measure, but I think doing so is important so you can get this issue resolved. Likely it is best to do this without any seal installed so you can see and measure the gap.

Good Luck.

For those of you still following this post I am trying to fix this problem as well. I did order another seal from Detroit Muscle and it got slightly better. I put a jack under the transmission and again it got slightly better. My biggest problem I think I have is the stack height of the carb. I have a carb with with a gasket, 1/4” spacer and a gasket. This puts the height about 3/8” taller than the factory set up.
Here are my questions
How much rearward lean is there in the stock setup? Should the fan blades have the same distance from the radiator to fan blade tip from top to bottom. (Is the fan parallel to radiator)?
If everything is stock then your measurements should be be the same as mine by using the same reference points….
Could someone measure from the front stud of air cleaner to dead center of radiator cap?

I didn't think that 383 engines had the six barrel option.......N96 maybe....with 4 bbl carb, which used s totally different carb base and circular filter element and filter lid......which only covered half the height of the filter.....just a thought......
BOB RENTON

I just came upon this post and I see there were a few that assumed his set-up was a this or that.
From what I read and see this is 1969 383 4bbl. RR with N96 airgrabber, the large oval lid and filter is correct in this application. I would think the problem may be in the engine angle as stated early on in this post. If raising the rear of trans doesn't work/help then I've got nothing more to add. For a test do you know someone with a GTX so you could try his 440 base which is shorter and should also help you .
Ron

I just came upon this post and I see there were a few that assumed his set-up was a this or that.
From what I read and see this is 1969 383 4bbl. RR with N96 airgrabber, the large oval lid and filter is correct in this application. I would think the problem may be in the engine angle as stated early on in this post. If raising the rear of trans doesn't work/help then I've got nothing more to add. For a test do you know someone with a GTX so you could try his 440 base which is shorter and should also help you .
Ron
My thoughts exactly. 440’s use a shorter for lack of a better description velocity stack than the talker 383 low deck air cleaner base

I installed a 1/4” shim between the transmission mount and the transmission. It changed the angle enough to push the air cleaner forward 3/16.
Purchased a new seal and made sure to roll the back part of the seal rearward before closing.

For those of you still following this post I am trying to fix this problem as well. I did order another seal from Detroit Muscle and it got slightly better. I put a jack under the transmission and again it got slightly better. My biggest problem I think I have is the stack height of the carb. I have a carb with with a gasket, 1/4” spacer and a gasket. This puts the height about 3/8” taller than the factory set up.
Here are my questions
How much rearward lean is there in the stock setup? Should the fan blades have the same distance from the radiator to fan blade tip from top to bottom. (Is the fan parallel to radiator)?
If everything is stock then your measurements should be be the same as mine by using the same reference points….
Could someone measure from the front stud of air cleaner to dead center of radiator cap?
Torker intake and no spacer and no issues. My 70 used factory Holley and went with 780 and no issues still

I didn't think that 383 engines had the six barrel option.......N96 maybe....with 4 bbl carb, which used s totally different carb base and circular filter element and filter lid......which only covered half the height of the filter.....just a thought......
BOB RENTON
383 never factory but as you know avail aftermarket RJ

Auto Transport Service
Back