• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air grabber seal fitting issues

shovelluv

Local time
5:48 AM
Reaction score
I recently finished restoration on my 1969 roadrunner. I purchased an air grabber seal / gasket for the duct to base from Detroit Muscle tech. My issue is the seal is bunching up on rear of the air cleaner lid and putting a lot of pressure on the original plastic ductwork and raising the center of my hood up about 3/8". This is a pretty much stock application from original Carb, air cleaner base, intake, gasket sizes, ductwork, etc.. I tried moving the seal rearward as much as I could. Anyone have this issue and resolve it?

20221008_130825.jpg

Screenshot_20221009-061751_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221009-061915_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20221009-061651_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Seal is hitting the air filter lid before going behind it like it should. I'll go stare at mine for a bit to see if I can help you with that.... can't remember if the seal has a front and a back but I'll look at that as well on both old and new ones.

I am not aware. please advise with the bunch of mismatched parts I have so I can fix this issue. This is my first full restoration to a 69 roadrunner. thank you
That is not a '69 1/2 style air cleaner. I have no idea what scoop you have or what location it is. I am not an A 12(69 1/2) expert by any means, but I did have a partially OEM A 12 setup.

I thought maybe you had put a 440 in and had wrong drop base but that’s not the case. I agree thou seems like lid is hitting first

Friend of mine had this issue with his 70 GTX turns out the aftermarket transmission mount had the engine lower in the rear. This set the air cleaner about a half inch too far back. I told him how to fix the issue. That was to either shim the transmission mount or change to a stock type all together.

Here is the video I made. This is a 70 GTX.

That is not a '69 1/2 style air cleaner. I have no idea what scoop you have or what location it is. I am not an A 12(69 1/2) expert by any means, but I did have a partially OEM A 12 setup.
He doesn't have an A 12, which would be a lift off hood. Regular '69 Roadrunner with an AirGrabber hood set up.

This would just be a N-96 coded car. N-96 = Fresh Air Hood..

This is a 69 roadrunner with an n96 package, numbers matching. It is NOT an A 12 car.

Well 3/8” is pretty much the difference in height of the base between a 383 and 440. So is this the original air cleaner base to the car?

I recently finished restoration on my 1969 roadrunner. I purchased an air grabber seal / gasket for the duct to base from Detroit Muscle tech. My issue is the seal is bunching up on rear of the air cleaner lid and putting a lot of pressure on the original plastic ductwork and raising the center of my hood up about 3/8". This is a pretty much stock application from original Carb, air cleaner base, intake, gasket sizes, ductwork, etc.. I tried moving the seal rearward as much as I could. Anyone have this issue and resolve it?

View attachment 1355002

View attachment 1355003

View attachment 1355004

View attachment 1355005
How is the gap between the back of the hood and the windshield base? Can you move the hood back a little?

Make sure your seal is installed correctly. There is a front and back. The seal has moulded in reinforce "diamonds" that should be front and sides. If that fails to be the answer I've had zero issues with my Dale's Cuda Shop seal... so support @69bfan and buy one from DCS if need be.

If you did have a 440 base by accident it would be sitting 3/8" lower on top of a 383 and give you more clearance... so it's not that.
20221009_123728.jpg
20221009_123737.jpg
20221009_124429.jpg
20221009_124437.jpg
20221009_124527.jpg
20221009_124733.jpg

Friend of mine had this issue with his 70 GTX turns out the aftermarket transmission mount had the engine lower in the rear. This set the air cleaner about a half inch too far back. I told him how to fix the issue. That was to either shim the transmission mount or change to a stock type all together.

Here is the video I made. This is a 70 GTX.

Well 3/8” is pretty much the difference in height of the base between a 383 and 440. So is this the original air cleaner base to the car?
Yes. It's the 383 base. I measured it to verify it was correct.

Is this a 383 engine?

And I see you have a screw missing on the rubber seal - I also had that issue. I am sure there was a design change somewhere over the years.

It definitely looks to me that the air cleaner base plate is riding quite high.......as in it could be a 383 base plate.

The 440 base plate should have very little space between the tops of the valve covers and the outer lip.

And I see you have a screw missing on the rubber seal - I also had that issue. I am sure there was a design change somewhere over the years.
It's supposed to be a 383 plate Roger...

Yes, I am starting to see that - I thought it was a 440 engine....but I couldn't see where the OP had stated that in this thread. :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back