• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air in my fuel filter

blue69runner

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:40 PM
Reaction score
Just to say every thing is new on this 69 runner. I did put two and1/2 inch recurve spring's on the rear. So it is jacked up in the back some. New sending unit dose not read right to let me know where the fuel is in relation to the pick up tube. Was tuning the carb to day and noticed I had air in the fuel filter. Looked into the tank an see fuel in their. but cant see the pick up tube for the sending unit. So I blew air in the line back to the tank from the fuel pump and fuel started coming out of the line. So hooked it back up and added five gallon's of fuel to the tank. The fuel gauge read 1/4 of a tank. Oh well if you guy's have had this problem before and have and answer to the problem would appreciate it. One more thing had a charger back in 73. put air shock's on it and had about the same thing happen. Had to pull the sending unit and bend the pick up tube. So it stayed in the fuel at the out put of the tank . Appreciate any thought's. Blue. Just working through the bug's Just about done with the car. LOL.

You nailed it. The pickup works with gravity.
Lifting the rear of car tilts the perceived level of the fuel so the sending unit will be out of calibration.
The gauge will never read correctly if the tank is not level.
Imagine filling a bath tub and then lifting up one side. It will never be full...

Just to say every thing is new on this 69 runner. I did put two and1/2 inch recurve spring's on the rear. So it is jacked up in the back some. New sending unit dose not read right to let me know where the fuel is in relation to the pick up tube. Was tuning the carb to day and noticed I had air in the fuel filter. Looked into the tank an see fuel in their. but cant see the pick up tube for the sending unit. So I blew air in the line back to the tank from the fuel pump and fuel started coming out of the line. So hooked it back up and added five gallon's of fuel to the tank. The fuel gauge read 1/4 of a tank. Oh well if you guy's have had this problem before and have and answer to the problem would appreciate it. One more thing had a charger back in 73. put air shock's on it and had about the same thing happen. Had to pull the sending unit and bend the pick up tube. So it stayed in the fuel at the out put of the tank . Appreciate any thought's. Blue. Just working through the bug's Just about done with the car. LOL.

Its not air you see its fuel vapor. Its no big thing that the filter shows some void space. Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

Normal to have air space in the filter. They are rarely full. Do yourself a favor and put a Wix filter on there with a metal can. For safety, don’t use the see through plastic filters.

Last edited:
I found using a cool can (with ice) on my bracket racer removed the air/vapor in the transparent fuel filler completely.

Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 7.44.29 AM.png

Thanks for the info think I found out that the fuel sending unit pick up tube in the tank was exposed to air. With the little lift the sprig's give the car the fuel runs more to the front. Drove it to day and pulled into the garage and fuel was coming out of my vent tube under the car. Had to get a vapor valve and put some hose on the vent tube. Tied it to the shock tower and put the vapor valve on the end. Had to do this to another car I put air shocks on. So at that point pulled the sending unit and bent the tube to lay side way's in the tank closer to the front of the tank. So figured I will have to do the same thing with this one. Should solve all the problems with getting air in the lines with less than a full tank. Did put fiberglass rap around my fuel pump it was getting really hot too. The motor only has 80 or so mile's on it now. Thanks again guy's good information.

So to up date the Holley carb I have was not working right. New brass float's. Took it apart one more time and found the tab's that work the fuel valve's was not making contact. So had to bend them so it would work in full contact with the needle valve. Now all is fine it the car ran like a bat out of hell when I took it out for a drive yesterday. Thanks for all the info I have gotten from the forum.

Auto Transport Service
Back