• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

airgrabber questions 70rr

TRAMO

Local time
1:15 AM
Reaction score
does the seleniod have to be grounded before the airgrabber will function?the spring that mounts on the trap door lever does the other end mount to the actuator bracket? if anyone could point me to a diagram i would appreciate it thanx.

Here's a pic of how mine is hooked up....

Air grabber spring.jpg

what purpose does it serve?maybe to keep the trap door from opening on its on?

To assist in closing the door.
I'm not sure that mine is the correct spring...just trying to show you how the tension is supplied to the door. A few years ago I looked into this and it seems to me there were some hair pin type springs that were supposed to be installed....maybe mine is incorrect, but it works, so fine by me.

Does anyone else have a pic of the spring set up on their air grabber?

Here is my spring, also the solenoid is grounded by it being screwed to the dash frame.

IMG_4356.jpg

does the seleniod have to be grounded before the airgrabber will function?the spring that mounts on the trap door lever does the other end mount to the actuator bracket? if anyone could point me to a diagram i would appreciate it thanx.

There is an electrical solenoid under the dash for the air grabber. Are you talking about that one or just the vacuum solenoid screwed to the hood?

Chuck

Thanks 440...have you ever seen one of these installed? Wilson Productions advertises this as the correct spring for 70-72 air grabber doors.... not worth worrying about for sure, but interesting.

If nothing else, it'll give us N96 guys something to think about :thinker: Check out the link below the pic...

N96-008.jpg

http://www.n96airgrabber.com/proddetail.asp?prod=N96-008

Last edited:
Ok, guess I goofed that up....the above post is showing the actual door spring, NOT the actuator spring....mine and 440 + 6 look like the correct actuator springs.

Sorry for the confusion!

thanx guys.mine opens and closes without the spring fine,i have not tried it with the spring.the spring is pretty strong.

Thanks 440...have you ever seen one of these installed? Wilson Productions advertises this as the correct spring for 70-72 air grabber doors.... not worth worrying about for sure, but interesting.

If nothing else, it'll give us N96 guys something to think about :thinker: Check out the link below the pic...

View attachment 194082

http://www.n96airgrabber.com/proddetail.asp?prod=N96-008

That spring goes on the inside door (flapper) that's at the front of the air box, it keeps tension on so it seals when the hood scoop is open.
Here's a pic of mine.
Frank

IMG_4358.jpg

What kind of tension is on that spring? $22 is a lot for a spring like that!

I don't run the spring anymore. It droops when you shut the car off without the spring, but that could just be my actuator leaking. I have the little electrical solenoid under the dash. I think it shuts off vacuum to the engine to hold the hood up when off. Not real sure even after owning the car for 30 years!

I don't run the spring anymore. It droops when you shut the car off without the spring, but that could just be my actuator leaking. I have the little electrical solenoid under the dash. I think it shuts off vacuum to the engine to hold the hood up when off. Not real sure even after owning the car for 30 years!

The selonoid is to release the vacuum when you shut the car off, the scoop should close as soon as you turn off your engine no matter what position the switch is in.
BTW that's when the spring on the actuator comes into play, to close the scoop when everything is shut down, when the engine is running the vacuum opens and closes the scoop, the spring is not needed then.

The solenoid in the dash releases the vacuum in the system when it loses power (tied to the ignition). This ensures that the hood scoop closes when the car is shut off, to protect it from rain, etc.

Thanks for the clarification guys! I guess I'll get a spring at some point and put it back on.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but is there a way to keep the air grabber open when the car is off (for display/show purposes)?

...assuming the air grabber is operational and working normally.

OK, I'll show you what I do, as long as no one laughs... It is HIGHLY technical!

I cut a piece of wood and put a slot in it. That's it. :poke:

In this first picture, note that the slot is cut at an angle - I drew a rough pencil line to show the angle.
20170526_195638.jpg
20170526_195727.jpg

So all I do is push the air grabber open with my hand and insert the wood piece. Again, you can see the angle of the slot and why I cut it that way. The other end which is simply cut square goes against the metal bracket of the air grabber bracket.

20170526_195948.jpg

I am sure others may have different, and likely better ideas. But this is simple, quick, cheap, doesn't require any tools or disassembly, etc. It works for me...

Hope this helps,

Hawk

Wow, that's quite a setup. I'm glad I'm not the only one that had been thinking something similar. You should 3-D print these and call them "hsorman's Air Blocks" and sell them on amazon for $7.00. Print them in different colors that match the Chrysler hood colors to be more inconspicuous. Just email me when they're ready.

Otherwise, I have to go find a block of scrap wood in the garage. :thankyou:

Thanks so much for the pics...

Wow, that's quite a setup. I'm glad I'm not the only one that had been thinking something similar. You should 3-D print these and call them "hsorman's Air Blocks" and sell them on amazon for $7.00. Print them in different colors that match the Chrysler hood colors to be more inconspicuous. Just email me when they're ready.

Otherwise, I have to go find a block of scrap wood in the garage. :thankyou:

Thanks so much for the pics...

Yeah, I should probably at least paint mine black, but it really is hard to see when the hood is up anyway. Maybe that will be a good weekend project one of these days!

Hawk

Auto Transport Service
Back