• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternator Bracket Install Details

albert 5694

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:00 AM
Reaction score
Hello I have a 1969 GTX with the 440 and factory AC i am in the process of trying to install factory correct alternator brackets and water pump tension pulley for this and i was looking for some detailed info / pictures of how it should look. I can get the complete reproduction factory bracket kit from several places and everything seems pretty self explaining the only thing i have noticed is in the 383 / 400 BB it shows a flat strap that i think goes behind the alternator and attaches to the head and in the 440 RB kit this is missing and there is extra spacers instead i assume that the 440 dose not use this flat strap that goes behind the alternator. I looked in my service manual as well as my parts catalog and neither one shows exploded views of how this gets assembled. Hear is the kit for the 440 as well as a picture of the flat bar that comes with the 383 kit and not the 440 kit.

Altinator bracket complete.jpg

Flat strap alt bracket.jpg

440 is tall so the alt pivot bolt threads into the head, it’s a longer bolt and another spacer.

The bar is reaching up to be high enough for that bolt the thread into, because the head is too low on a 383.

Thanks for the info this is what i thought i just wanted to be sure and you guys answered my question. I think the lower alternator bracket fastens to the water pump on the front that,s a no brainier but i haven't seen pictures but as fer as i can tell the back bolt shares the front motor mount bolt. Pictures? Once again the members on hear are so nice and very informative thanks.

I have everything to do this i am getting it cleaned up and repainted the only thing i don't have is the 2 bolts that go threw the idler pulley bracket at the water pump housing i think it takes 3/8-16 x 4 1/2 long but not sure i looked in my official parts catalog but there is no break down on the alternator or idler pulley that i could find to tell me what the spec is on the bolt dose anybody have a spec on these 2 bolts so i can be sure they are not to long and if they are hex head and separate washer or a flange head bolt any help is appreciated.

Auto Transport Service
Back