• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternator conversion from factory to one wire

Where is the power for the accessories drawing from?
It splits near the starter if memory serves me. Then feeds everything on the firewall including starter relay and engine. There are absolutely no issues with charging and all else electrical until those damn fans kick on. The alternator looks just like the old square back. It is well grounded. As mentioned, my Derale dual fan controller is shot & I am pretty much fed up with the whole electrical debacle. When half of my cluster doesn't function and I have to do even more to make the electric fan controls run right, I am going to pull the plug so to speak.
If it is I would sure consider removing the electric fans and installing a 7 blade mechanical 18" fan and spacer like Kerndog posted.
That and a shroud should move enough air to cool .
That is my current plan. I am fed up with this electrical stuff. The newer cars are far worse. Like my 23 year old 2000 Caravan wipers won't work on delay or other garbage run through multiple combinations of micro computers , chips, relays & can-bus **** & so forth and 500 ground wire connections. Computers and all associated stuff is wonderful,,,,but only when it works! I do really appreciate all of the excellent suggestions posted here for my benefit. But when I take into account all of the bypassed & disconnected stuff on my car that my very limited time and ability allow; added to the fact that I have trouble even getting up off the ground anymore when doing anything under a vehicle or God forbid, under a dashboard; I just want to revert to "simplification". As I age and still work rotating shifts, I am slowly acquiring a terminal case of dumbass! But things like this is just adds fuel to the fire. I am ready to punt on first down as absolutely no one will see that coming! I will, however, make a quick assessment of what is currently there and make a judgement call before reverting completely back to factory mechanical type functionality. God Bless you all and Thank you very much as there are excellent points made here to go by.
:drinks: :thumbsup: :drinks:

There you go. Throw in the towel. While you’re at it you might as well go back to a 60 amp alt and the ammeter. I’m running a Holley sniper, dual spal fans, vintage air, vacuum pump,Dakota Digital Guages, T-56 with electronic reverse lock out, a big stereo, six speakers and a 700 watt amp on the factory harness with zero problems and getting ready to install 2 power seats once I figure out how to correctly wire them. Zero problems, zero issues!

I am not totally throwing in the towel, (Yet), thank you. Your setup sounds awesome! As I said, my factory gauges are disconnected so no ammeter to worry about. Also, the voltmeter was tied to something under the dash. I at least made that a homerun to the alternator. The big issue is I am overwhelmed with Must Do's before I can get to the Want To's. I have my son's 2 vehicles, a 93 Jeep Wrangler, his daily ride 2005 PT Cruiser, my own 23 year old daily driver Caravan, my 23 year old Dodge Ram 4x4, and still have a sizable mortgage and walk around in a stuper for days, unable to sleep at night due to working 7 midnight shifts in a row, which repeats every 3 weeks. I have been doing this for over 35 years! I almost forgot about my commute of over a hundred miles a day for over 38 years as well. Then there's my wife's stuff & she lives a thousand miles away! Believe me, I am burned out and usually half broke! Nobody seems to want to buy any of my 70 year old internal organs either. That is the real reason that I procrastinate. Call it a combination of insanity, pre-senility and a light wallet! I promise due diligence as soon as things simmer down a tad! In the meanwhile, thank you for your excellent suggestions. I am not used to things that actually make sense! Most of the time I am on here is when I am at work on shift, many times in the middle of the night. I am quite tired of burning the candle at both ends. We shift workers usually die 7 years sooner than other folks do as we have no circadium rythym left. With life expectancy for men now dropping to 79, that gives me about 2 more years of chaos before my time is up! I have a couple other Stationary Engineers on here who also work these ungodly hours. We converse when most others are snoozing. :BangHead:
May your way be more pleasant! :)

Last edited:
I am not totally throwing in the towel, (Yet), thank you. Your setup sounds awesome! As I said, my factory gauges are disconnected so no ammeter to worry about. Also, the voltmeter was tied to something under the dash. I at least made that a homerun to the alternator. The big issue is I am overwhelmed with Must Do's before I can get to the Want To's. I have my son's 2 vehicles, a 93 Jeep Wrangler, his daily ride 2005 PT Cruiser, my own 23 year old daily driver Caravan and still have a sizable mortgage and walk around in a stuper for days, unable to sleep at night due to working 7 midnight shifts in a row, which repeats every 3 weeks. I have been doing this for over 35 years! Then there's my wife's stuff & she lives a thousand miles away! Believe me, I am burned out and usually half broke! Nobody seems to want to buy any of my 70 year old internal organs either. That is the real reason that I procrastinate. Call it a combination of insanity, pre-senility and a light wallet! I promise due diligence as soon as things simmer down a tad! In the meanwhile, thank you for your excellent suggestions. I am not used to things that actually make sense! Most of the time I am on here is when I am at work on shift, many times in the middle of the night. I am quite tired of burning the candle at both ends. We shift workers usually die 7 years sooner than other folks do as we have no circadium rythym left. With life expectancy for men now dropping to 79, that gives me about 2 more years of chaos before my time is up! I have a couple other Stationary Engineers on here who also work these ungodly hours. We converse when most others are snoozing. :BangHead: May your way be more pleasant!
I wish you luck. I’ve had to learn the hard way and know your struggles. I’ve worked away all my life and it’s been a battle getting my car on the road. The last 5 years I’ve been going 6-7 days a week with only 2 weeks off. Finally we just went to 5 days a week and they’re letting us work 9 weeks and have off 3 weeks and man what a relief. As I get older I’ve got more patience. If you get burned out put it to the side and do something else. There’s nothing worse than getting in a hurry and making mistakes or making decisions that you wished you’d went ahead and done in the first place.

Thank you again for all your input. Without the great people on this, (the best automotive site of all), I'd be lost! I am sure there are lots of folks here as well who have difficult situations that make mine like a walk in the park! I have learned a boat load of things here and it has made a tremendous difference and continues to guide me and I am eternally grateful. One thing is for sure; my life has never been boring, lol! By the way, Your Charger reminds me of my younger brothers 70 Charger SE/RT 4 speed. It was originally that same green hue as yours appears to be. When it needed body work, he had it redone in B-5 blue and dropped a 440 police interceptor motor in it! He bought it used from the son of the owner of a Dodge dealership! Sadly, he had to sell it after many happy years. My older brother had a 69 Dart 340 4 speed. My biggest regret is the shift work. I have missed so many car shows and events in my life solely because of it which is three weekends out of four every month. We also work those 7 days in a row for straight time! Your body always knows it, but your paycheck never does, as magically it's a new week at midnight Saturday. The 100 plus mile commutes also not only burned up gas, but also lost sleep and wear & tear on my vehicles. I have put over 300,000 miles on two different Mopars, and in the mid 200,000 on other ones; (I have never owned anything else). Hang Tuff, I hope it gets easier for you as well!
:thumbsup:

Jeezus H Chrysler, Bry. You need a break! Sit back and have a beer or ten.

If it comes down to it, I *think* I have a 7 blade fan for you up in the attic. Just say the word and ill take a look. Might even have the spacer somewheres too.

Is that buss point on the charge line side? Is it from a stand alone wire running from battery to starter relay.

JMO, map out how the system is wired. Identify the size of the wires going from alternator to battery, wire feeding the starter relay as well. How is the path.

Ideally, you want the shortest runs possible, but that is difficult when battery is in the trunk. If runs are long, wiring sizing must be adjusted up to counter voltage drop.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back