• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternator fields shorted together?

Charged440

Local time
5:23 PM
Reaction score
The now former dictatorship of Madiganistan
I have a square back alternator that has one field grounded to work with the 1969 setup. How much continuity should there be between the two fields when measured at the slip rings with the brushes removed? The only spec I could find was 5-7 ohms and I'm at 1.7. Before I go replacing it I wanted to ask here if the spec I have is accurate. Thanks

There needs to continuity between the slip rings. The FSM does not explain much as far as any ohm readings. I never found that to be a problem. I have seen the slip rings go to ground internally causing a dead short and also a over fielding as it was grounded. As long as you have a reading I would consider it good. If neither are grounded I would call that test good. I would be more concerned about the field windings and diodes as they were the problem areas. Diodes more than field and rotor failure being last on the list. Those rotors are very stout. What kind of problem are you dealing with?

On all alt fields ohms measurements I have made ( this includes the brushes ) allways get ~5.4 Ohms.

There needs to continuity between the slip rings. The FSM does not explain much as far as any ohm readings. I never found that to be a problem. I have seen the slip rings go to ground internally causing a dead short and also an over fielding as it was grounded. As long as you have a reading I would consider it good. If neither are grounded I would call that test good. I would be more concerned about the field windings and diodes as they were the problem areas. Diodes more than field and rotor failure being last on the list. Those rotors are very stout. What kind of problem are you dealing with?
Thank you, I’ll try and keep it short. I replaced a Mallory distributor with a Progression ignition unit which requires 12v all the time. I bypassed the ballast and all that and it ran good. A bit later I began to have a hard starting problem hot or cold and found low voltage at the coil. In trying to isolate the problem I found it would start if I disconnected the green wire at the alternator which seemed to allow batt volts to the coil at all times. So yesterday, I removed the ground to the starter relay to eliminate the drain of the starter plus I’m not cranking away at a cold engine. Leaving everything else connected I check the voltage at the coil with the key switch at the run position and I get batt volts. If I turn the key to the start position I get like 7volts at the coil. If I disconnect the alternator field wire I now get battery volts at the start position. I don’t know how the alternator could be at fault but disconnecting it makes a difference in the readings.

Sounds like you have a voltage drop somewhere. The green wire is a control wire from the regulator. The regulator controls the amount of voltage to the alternator dependent on the charge rate needed. I would disconnect the regulators 12 volt feed and see what happens. Or any other items that might be added on that circuit such as an electric choke or accessory. But it sure sounds like a bad connection or wire problem. I would verify the voltage at the bulkhead, and ignition switch.

I have a square back alternator that has one field grounded to work with the 1969 setup. How much continuity should there be between the two fields when measured at the slip rings with the brushes removed? The only spec I could find was 5-7 ohms and I'm at 1.7. Before I go replacing it I wanted to ask here if the spec I have is accurate. Thanks
Your 1.7 ohm reading will be OK. From EITHER slip ring to the rotor shaft should be infinity (no ohms) indicating no grounds. The voltage regulator varies the rotating field windings VOLTAGE and is controlled by the VOLTAGE REGULATOR. It is likely that the voltage regulator is faulty. If its the OEM mechanical voltage regulator, possibly the internal fuse has failed. If its the electronic voltage regulator replacement, the internal transistor, which regulates the 0-7 volts applied to the rotor. IT IS UNLIKELY THAT THE STATOR WINDINGS AND / OR DIODES ARE BAD. The MOPAR charging circuit is simple......just my opinion of course...
BOB RENTON

Sounds like you have a voltage drop somewhere. The green wire is a control wire from the regulator. The regulator controls the amount of voltage to the alternator dependent on the charge rate needed. I would disconnect the regulators 12 volt feed and see what happens. Or any other items that might be added on that circuit such as an electric choke or accessory. But it sure sounds like a bad connection or wire problem. I would verify the voltage at the bulkhead, and ignition switch.

It will run if I remove the 12v feed from the regulator, I did have an extra one of those and swapping that didn’t change anything. I’ve checked all the usual suspects and I’m stumped.

With everything hooked up try running a 12 volt jumper to the coil positive from the battery and see if it fires.

Your 1.7 ohm reading will be OK. From EITHER slip ring to the rotor shaft should be infinity (no ohms) indicating no grounds. The voltage regulator varies the rotating field windings VOLTAGE and is controlled by the VOLTAGE REGULATOR. It is likely that the voltage regulator is faulty. If its the OEM mechanical voltage regulator, possibly the internal fuse has failed. If its the electronic voltage regulator replacement, the internal transistor, which regulates the 0-7 volts applied to the rotor. IT IS UNLIKELY THAT THE STATOR WINDINGS AND / OR DIODES ARE BAD. The MOPAR charging circuit is simple......just my opinion of course...
BOB RENTON
Thanks, it’s the newer electronic regulator, I had another I swapped in and it did the same thing, nothing seemed burned on the inside of either of them.

Thanks, it’s the newer electronic regulator, I had another I swapped in and it did the same thing, nothing seemed burned on the inside of either of them.
The internal switching transistor, in the electronic voltage regulator, usually fails open.....it does not burn up...but results is zero output to the alternator's rotating field.....and no output current.
BOB RENTON

With everything hooked up try running a 12 volt jumper to the coil positive from the battery and see if it fires.
That works, it’s what led me to look for bad connections. I took care of what I found at the time and it tested ok but I must have missed something because there’s still a voltage drop coming out of the bulkhead.
The internal switching transistor, in the electronic voltage regulator, usually fails open.....it does not burn up...but results is zero output to the alternator's rotating field.....and no output current.
BOB RENTON
Thanks, my regulator is putting out 10v to the rotor, you had mentioned 0-7, I don’t know if that’s a problem or not.

That works, it’s what led me to look for bad connections. I took care of what I found at the time and it tested ok but I must have missed something because there’s still a voltage drop coming out of the bulkhead.

Thanks, my regulator is putting out 10v to the rotor, you had mentioned 0-7, I don’t know if that’s a problem or not.
The voltage impressed on the alternator's rotating field can vary from almost 0 volts to 12 volts depending on the battery's state of charge. I mentioned 7 volts as a nominal value or average. Its possible that a poor condition exists at the bulk head and or ignition switch connections. Just an additional thought......
BOB RENTON

So the jumper worked. Check all connections, bulkhead, ammeter, ignition switch,. What year car?

The voltage impressed on the alternator's rotating field can vary from almost 0 volts to 12 volts depending on the battery's state of charge. I mentioned 7 volts as a nominal value or average. Its possible that a poor condition exists at the bulk head and or ignition switch connections. Just an additional thought......
BOB RENTON
So the jumper worked. Check all connections, bulkhead, ammeter, ignition switch,. What year car?
Ok, that makes sense, my battery isn’t exactly topped off so it sounds like I’m ok there. It’s a ‘69 charger and putting it together I replaced the engine harness and did the MAD electrical amp gauge bypass, and other then the usual issues with the bulkhead, the rest of it was ok. The keys switch was replaced this last summer while chasing this down, mine wasn’t all that bad, but it wasn’t the greatest. It helped a little bit maybe. Just now I checked the resistance from the starter relay through the bulkhead to the coil and had .5 ohms. From the key switch plug to the coil .3 ohms. Start bypass was about the same.

Ok, that makes sense, my battery isn’t exactly topped off so it sounds like I’m ok there. It’s a ‘69 charger and putting it together I replaced the engine harness and did the MAD electrical amp gauge bypass, and other then the usual issues with the bulkhead, the rest of it was ok. The keys switch was replaced this last summer while chasing this down, mine wasn’t all that bad, but it wasn’t the greatest. It helped a little bit maybe. Just now I checked the resistance from the starter relay through the bulkhead to the coil and had .5 ohms. From the key switch plug to the coil .3 ohms. Start bypass was about the same.
Forget the OHM's. You need to test the circuit under load. It should only take 20 to 30 minutes to check it. Your problem is a constant issue which makes it easier to diagnose.

Under load I lose a volt or so through the dash. I looked at the alternator and regulator in a last ditch effort to confirm there wasn’t something wrong there before I went through the trouble of replacing the dash harness.

Auto Transport Service
Back