• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternator ground question.

Do you have a picture of the solid state voltage regulator and how it's wired with the dual field? That's what I'm trying to do with my 67 charger but don't know how to do it. This is mine now "before" I change to solid state.

View attachment 1301212
I'll send you a diagram tomorrow. You just need to run another wire from the regulator

Do you have a picture of the solid state voltage regulator and how it's wired with the dual field? That's what I'm trying to do with my 67 charger but don't know how to do it. This is mine now "before" I change to solid state. FYI, I checked continuity from both fields and both are open. Just don't know where to connect the second field.

View attachment 1301212
What you have there looks like the modern solid state single field reg.
Is it burnt out, not working? Should work just as good as a dual field.
What does the back of that reg look like? Should be a ground strap, but looks like plastic bolt ears.

I'll send you a diagram tomorrow. You just need to run another wire from the reg

What you have there looks like the modern solid state single field reg.
Is it burnt out, not working? Should work just as good as a dual field.
What does the back of that reg look like? Should be a ground strap, but looks like plastic bolt ears.
It's brand new. Nothing wrong with it. I haven't installed it yet on my 1967 as I do not know 1) if i can simply just swap the old points regulator with the new solid state 2) where does my extra field wire get connected and how.

IMG_0778.JPG

I was looking at the one installed post#40.
Your new one... is it marketed as a "dual field?
Looks like it could be a modern single field.

I would have assumed both your old, and new, were single field.
If that were the case, no extra wire involved

I was looking at the one installed post#40.
Your new one... is it marketed as a "dual field?
Looks like it could be a modern single field.

I would have assumed both your old, and new, were single field.
If that were the case, no extra wire involved
My alternator is dual field. According to the article below, I upgrade the voltage regulator and integrate the 2nd field wire somewhere/somehow. Just need pics on how to do this and what the voltage regulator looks like in the end.

Voltage Regulator upgrade?

Oh. Just run a blue wire from the blue on the regulator to the extra field on the alt.

Oh. Just run a blue wire from the blue on the regulator to the extra field on the alt.
There is no blue on the regulator. There is 1 field which is where the green wire is to be attached and 1 ignition which i assume is where my dual black/white wires will attach.

I'll send you a diagram tomorrow. You just need to run another wire from the regulator
Thanks. Hopefully that will clear things up. I figured someone must have read the article and wired accordingly but can't find pics.

There is no blue on the regulator. There is 1 field which is where the green wire is to be attached and 1 ignition which i assume is where my dual black/white wires will attach.
If you look closer I think you'll see it's 2 blue with white tracer going to the drivers side of the regulator. That's where you could attach.
Assuming that's your car in post #40.

If you look closer I think you'll see it's 2 blue with white tracer going to the drivers side of the regulator. That's where you could attach.
Assuming that's your car in post #40.
Ah. I'll look closer. Old eyes :) Heck I'm still trying to figure out how you know which post is #40 without counting them :lol:. I'm a mess. So i can leave the green wire on the voltage regulator field connector and run a blue wire from the 2nd alternator field connector to one of the blue/white wires on the ignition side of the regulator. Can I just splice the blue wire into the blue/white wires connector or do I need to splice somewhere downstream of one of the blue/white wires?

Last edited:
Here is the diagram to incorporate the newer style regulator with a dual field alternator.
But yes you can likely do the same thing with the regulator you've shown in the picture.
1655734467722.png

oldmangarth - Posts numbers are shown at the upper right side of each post.
Ron

7C7E5EFD-D8D2-4E96-8A12-3AB2DFF7C47C.jpeg

BTW, found this in the a bodies forum in case this is of some use to someone.

1656023487878.png

maybe this diagram is easier to understand ? same one you can find around I just colored long time ago and added where to fit the pigtail for the elect regulator
s-l500.jpg

latealtconversion2b.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back