• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternator not charging... Continued.

Joel Talka

Local time
7:40 PM
Reaction score
Man, this is getting more interesting!

Had some time today to check out the voltage regulator "voltages" on my 66.. Key on, battery voltage at the input terminal, zero at the Field terminal. Removed the regulator from the firewall and jumpered the case to ground, same thing, so it is not a ground problem...

This regulator is/was electronic; looks like the one that came in my '68 Satellite, old school which is what I wanted. Luckily it could be popped open. Bottom line, the transistor in there is fried, it actually split open!

OK, a while ago I also did buy a cheap backup regulator at Advance Auto Parts which I had also tried in the past.. Installed it again today, same thing, it too appears fried...zero volts at the field.

Is it possible that you cannot use a two terminal "electronic" regulator in a stock 66 wiring harness?

I did find and order an old mechanical regulator on eBay, hopefully that will solve the problem...

Gotta love those gremlins...

Joel

IMG_8766.jpeg

You should have no problem using an electronic regulator in a stock wiring harness. If you have electronic ignition, a solid state regulator is recommended.
My 66 Charger has stock harness, single field alternator and all is fine with an electronic regulator. I would stick with an electronic regulator..
When you replace the defective regulator, first you should check the green wire to make sure it's not shorted to ground somehow. Disconnect the field wire at alternator, with the green wire NOT connected at regulator, check with ohm meter from that green wire to ground. Should show open, no measurable resistance. Also use ohmeter check both ends of green wire for continuity. If that checks out, with green wire connected at regulator and new regulator fully hooked up and mounted ( case grounded ) , BUT with field wire still disconnected at alternator and key on, check the voltages on both sides of the regulator. Would think you should see some voltage on the regulators field terminal. If that's all good, reconnect field terminal to alternator and re-check voltages on both sides of regulator. Start the car, you should see voltage at the regulators field terminal and battery should show somewhere around 13.6 volts if all is working. Good luck with it..

Agreed with above. It sounds like you've got a short in your field wire between the voltage regulator and the alternator

Success!

I did all the checks that you guys called out and the wiring is fine, no shorts, opens etc.. I measured the resistance of the field to ground and that was about 7 ohms so I know there is a load and there is continuity. I go on Amazon and buy another (3rd) regulator which shows up yesterday afternoon. I install it and test the field output, key on, before I connect it to the alternator and I get 11.5V...great! Finally, I connect the field wire and start the car... Charging!!

Turns out that the two regulators I bought were bad..go figure. The good news is that it is working!

Again, Thanks for all the help, it is very much appreciated!!

This was a great education!!

Joel

Hey Joel, Good to hear you got it solved. So many simple electrical parts, mostly made in China, being sold these days that are junk. Unfortunately, just because it's new doesn't mean it's any good..
Also glad to see that you posted the results. So many threads ask for help with a problem, after dozens of posts and comments, rarely is the solution posted. Safe Travels.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back