• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternator? Possibly battery

Kessler21

Local time
9:08 AM
Reaction score
My engine idles fine I changed the points and it sounds much better and idols much better, however when the car is put in gear it Boggs down and but doesn’t want to stop running which is good makes compression and runs quite nice however I was wondering if it would be an alternator problem. My batter was just replaced and the alternator comes from the original 318. The car was re wired by me and everything checks out I re wire pinball machines so I’m vary meticulous.

My engine idles fine I changed the points and it sounds much better and idols much better, however when the car is put in gear it Boggs down and but doesn’t want to stop running which is good makes compression and runs quite nice however I was wondering if it would be an alternator problem. My batter was just replaced and the alternator comes from the original 318. The car was re wired by me and everything checks out I re wire pinball machines so I’m vary meticulous.
Also acceleration could be better as I swapped it out with a 383 hp motor

Does the alternator light come on when you put it in gear ? I don't think it's a problem with either the alternator or battery.

Does the alternator light come on when you put it in gear ? I don't think it's a problem with either the alternator or battery.
Battery is brand new no alternator light comes on however when I did the swap the belt feels loose but in good condition. Should I try a smaller belt.

Yeah, check the timing, dwell, and would include your carb.

Check the Alt with a voltmeter? It's either working or not.
Also check your points gap. I recently put some points in and thought I'd just eyeball the gap and I was way off. It ran very poor.

Check the Alt with a voltmeter? It's either working or not.
Also check your points gap. I recently put some points in and thought I'd just eyeball the gap and I was way off. It ran very poor.

We used to use a match book cover! Good luck finding one of those these days.

Auto Transport Service
Back