• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternators worth anything?

matthon

Local time
9:05 AM
Reaction score
Somehow I ended up with 5 alternators.
One off a 64, two from 62s, and the rest don't recall.

Scrapping a bunch of metal tomorrow, are these worth anything, or should I just scrap?

20221027_155216.jpg

I would save them for a rebuilder. The old single field alternators are getting harder to find. But you probably won’t make any money off them.

I really have a hard time scrapping things like that. I would rather give them to somebody. The alternators will fit in a USPS flat rate box, although they have jumped in price a couple times this year, probably would still be worth the price of shipping to someone. Wonder if 2 would fit in a large box?

We used to have a starter alternator rebuild shop locally. I up 6 starters and 10 alternators to him in milk crates. He gave me $10.00 a piece for them. They are out of business now. Now when you try to buy a starter for most older Chryslers they sell you a newer starter for a Ram or Dakota that comes with an adapter to move the posts away from the block for a big block.

I will keep 1 if it is 'correct' for my car.

The others, it's difficult to justify keeping as I'm trying to get out from under stuff.

Guess I'll list them first.

Core charges on alternators these days
average about $80.00. Since these are
getting harder to find, they may be worth
a little more than that.

I've talked with local parts shops about dropping off old alternators, starters, calipers etc for cores and they have said they can't do anything with them and would just toss them in the scrap bin. Would be nice to get some of those old parts back into circulation.

How do you date these from the #s?
3 have numbers in different places.

2 only have the Forward Look logo, must be from 62s.

20221029_132109.jpg

20221029_132103.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back