• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aluminum 833 build

Local time
6:07 AM
Reaction score
I have just about enough 18 spline guts to build a 2nd trans. I would like to use an aluminum case and tail housing for weight savings, but I’m worried about strength as it will be used with 600+ hp big block. I have an aluminum case that has been sleeved for counter shaft. Anyone out there done this kinda build? Am I dreaming again? Will it explode on a 6000 rpm 1-2 shift, lol, thanks for any input.

Been there done that ... then talked to the guys at Brewers, took all the stuff out and back into an iron case and sold the aluminum one. Never to think about that again !! If you REALLY want to use an aluminum case I suggest using one of Passon's. FWIW I think the weight savings is only around ten pounds. Hardly worth the potential headaches!

I would not hesitate to use the aluminum case, as long as you also use a proper 600hp clutch. 2900lbs on a 10.4" organic disc diaphragm would be ballpark, as would 2300lbs on an organic/metallic dual friction disc.

Grant

I ran 23 spline aluminum case & tail housing built by Joe Liberty. But it was a 400 - 450 hp deal with sticky street tires. It was well abused with 7000 rpm power shifts. Ran great.

600 hp and slicks is a different story.

I ran 23 spline aluminum case & tail housing built by Joe Liberty. But it was a 400 - 450 hp deal with sticky street tires. It was well abused with 7000 rpm power shifts. Ran great.

600 hp and slicks is a different story.
With a proper clutch, it will live @ 600hp even with slicks.

Grant

With a proper clutch, it will live @ 600hp even with slicks.

Grant
Not saying it can’t. Just saying my situation is different than his.

Auto Transport Service
Back