• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aluminum Grill Refinishers?

Scooby67

Local time
8:05 PM
Reaction score
Looking to have the aluminum grill, headlight surrounds and tail panel section of my 65 Belvedere II refinished. Aside from the King of Trim in CA, who/where else would you recommend?

5.7hemi here on this site was doing them for a while, but not sure if he still is.

Go on Moparts and ask,it was discussed some time ago and there were quite a few options.Also as far as re finish,depends what you are looking for.One thing to remember is that the original anodizing was used to protect aluminum that is exposed to the elements,you will never find any grille/front end pieces bare aluminum,removing the anodizing lets the surface vulnerable to scuffing and scratching.You can polish and clear coat but eventually you will end up with a less than desirable finish.If you have inside trim,removing any anodizing and polishing will work,outside,do it right,get it anodized.You can do as you choose but I know from experience.

On my 63 I stripped the grill and headlight surrounds anodizing with heavy duty Easy Off. I used about 3 cans. Spray it on and let it sit 20 to 30 mins and rub on it with a scotchbrite pad. It will take multiple applications but will eventually strip the anodizing. Wear rubber gloves and glasses. Wash with water when done and then start polishing. Wet sand any scratches out(start courser and eventually work to finer paper). Once the scratches are out use a good metal polish. It's not fast but worth the effort. You will have to polish it to keep it up but it's really not that bad. Good luck.

Bill @ SpecialT's has done a 63 Dodge grill and a custom made grill for my 62 Savoy with no headlight holes. Great work and he shows up at the Mopar Nats and the Indy show loaded to sell his trade , and he sells a lot. He is from the Chicago area and advertises in MCG, and other mags. Tell him that Sled City Fiberglass sent ya.

Don't want to try it yourself? I have found most all trim can be sanded even the deep scratches and polished back to mirror luster with some care and elbow grease. Many videos out there showing you how.

Window trim, working on a spare set of headlight bezels now.

Don't want to try it yourself? I have found most all trim can be sanded even the deep scratches and polished back to mirror luster with some care and elbow grease. Many videos out there showing you how.

Window trim, working on a spare set of headlight bezels now.

I've done a fair amount of stainless and aluminum polishing in the past. Sill plates, windshield trim, motorcycle engine cases, etc....The difference here is I would like the grill, headlight bezels and rear deck plate reanodized. Otherwise, I would do them myself and just keep them polished. I feel the anodizing would provide long term protection.

I still do the grilles, working on a 64' Dodge Super Stock at the moment. You could do all the work and then send it out to be re-anodized and then do the painting.

- - - Updated - - -

Did this one awhile ago. The picture didn't do the grille justice, but you get the idea. Only half done at that stage and still needed paint.

Attachments

• 044.jpg
    044.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 379
I want a bare polished grille and headlight surround for my 6nd set will be painted black so I can see which one I like better

I still do the grilles, working on a 64' Dodge Super Stock at the moment. You could do all the work and then send it out to be re-anodized and then do the painting.

- - - Updated - - -

Did this one awhile ago. The picture didn't do the grille justice, but you get the idea. Only half done at that stage and still needed paint.

Zack is the MAN!!

Has anyone used King Of Trim? I am getting ready to send mine out from my '64 Belvedere and wondered how they do. I want to have grill, surrounds, and all the other grill trim polished and anodized.
Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 263
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 258
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 267
How did your trim turn out. I am also looking for a place to do the aluminum trim for my 65 Belvedere II.

If you want the factory look, "bright dipped", King of Trim does a really nice job of it while taking a kidney. If you want the "polished" look and paint, I can help. Ask around here on the forum.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's just a couple of examples.........http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?71595-Zack-s-SS-Grill

Auto Transport Service
Back