• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aluminum water pump and housing

sc440

Local time
3:49 AM
Reaction score
Thinking about getting an aluminum water pump housing and pump to save some weight. Is there any good brands or ones I should stay away from? Would like to buy one that has same dimensions as factory unit as to keep pulley lined same as stock one. Car is a 69 roadrunner

I’ve had one from 440Source on my 440 engine for over 10 years without issue. My pump outlet is drivers side and, if I remember correctly, 440Source was the only option at that time for drivers side outlet pump housings.

Last edited:
There was a problem a while back with the 440 source housings, but I'm almost positive it's been fixed.
I'm using the 440 source stuff too.

There was a problem a while back with the 440 source housings, but I'm almost positive it's been fixed.
I'm using the 440 source stuff too.
I remember that too. I believe it was an issue with an area being bottle necked. I contacted 440Source before I bought and they assured me the issue was taken care of long ago.

I remember that too. I believe it was an issue with an area being bottle necked. I contacted 440Source before I bought and they assured me the issue was taken care of long ago.
I thought it was a vent hole (thermostat bypass?) that was missing. Even if you had a bad one, it was a simple fix.

I'm using the 440 source stuff to
I do remember them having a problem with the flow through them. They are supposed to be fixed. Are you running there pump to?

I thought it was something about small casted inlet port to the pump..not sure though

I bought a water pump and housing from 440 source about 8 months ago. Have not had any problems with it.

From a metal finishing perspective:

I've had the pleasure of working up a few of the 440 Source housings. Unlike most parts that cross my bench, they're quality pieces without a bunch of casting flash and excess and require very little bodywork. The aluminum itself is also high grade as evidenced by the fact nothing oozes out of them after a few hours of outgassing. They look beautiful when I'm done.

Nd9GcTjTAunTCGIR3qzIbuRj2KxQafr23wlMh_OMA&usqp=CAU.jpg
o
Nd9GcRQtSFKMaOsoUG3vH6Wfbqqo65NuuysEZ4lCw&usqp=CAU.png

Thanks for all the info, I might just try the 440 source one

Here's one of Billy's I worked up.168313150361839494964012995704.jpg1683131545916263239149686057989.jpg16831315816006691334247239838036.jpg

I'll add a shameless plug that all FBBO members enjoy a labor discount, and military/law enforcement (past, present and retired) get a bigger one.

I bought one of the cheap aluminum housings on ebay with a cast iron pump. Zero issues although the price of housings has gone up.

I bought one of the cheap aluminum housings on ebay with a cast iron pump. Zero issues although the price of housings has gone up.

I hope it passed a good interior inspection first. I've found machined flaps of metal in them that would seriously restrict flow and cause damage if they broke loose on their own. I've also seen the same thing on oil filter relocation kits.

I hope it passed a good interior inspection first. I've found machined flaps of metal in them that would seriously restrict flow and cause damage if they broke loose on their own. I've also seen the same thing on oil filter relocation kits.
Compared to the original cast iron housing...

20170315_193442.jpg

20170315_193102.jpg

20170315_200220.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back