• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Am i crazy (Driving 69 Satellite from Kentucky to Oregon)?

No Walmarts in the area. 24 hour facilities.

I stayed at one the other night but on this night i think i got a little too ambitious thinking i could get to the next town. Started getting real sleepy so i pulled over at the next stop for some ZZZs

Any bad gas that was in the tank is surely been burned out by now! When your tanks about empty, pull the sender and just replace the sox anyway as I'm sure and inspect how nasty it looks, that will tell you want the carb might look like inside too. I also think a complete tune up is in order just because you don't know. A all fluid change probably wouldn't hurt either, that way everything is now on your time schedule. Good Luck

Looking at that driver side tire you might want to hit an alignment shop

Haha... you were right. Not sure if the alignment would have helped much because the steering components were pretty worn out. Wore the crap out of those old tires but mainly the driver side front. Thought i could get it back home without working on that. The tire got worn enough on the inside that it was time to put on the spare for the last 250 miles.

How many tanks of gas you been through so far?

I'm gonna look into it pretty soon and come up with a number. I kept fueling up about every 150 miles. Seemed to average about 15mpg during the trip. Worst was 10mpg best was 19mpg.

Old Mopars and life is an adventure Ya just got to let it be!
Check the shocks, they might be old as that car!
Not unusal to find the rear springs have lost their ump!
Check all the frint end parts to see that condition they are in.
I always soak an old car's carb in SeaFoam over night. Fill it full. Be warned it will SMOKE like crazy when you fire it up!.
That is some beautiful country you have there!!!!!!!! Whens the BBQ!????

No man! You're cars on a hippy trip! And finally, now you can pour some weed down the gas tank because it want's some of that 60's hippy air!!! You know? Stoner food for cars! :rofl::rofl::thumbsup:

***, Gas or Grass, nobody rides for free.....

I would recommend that you go play the Lottery today. You are on a roll!

Haha.. at the request of my wife, i actually bought 3 tickets a few nights ago in Pine Bluffs, Wyoming. Unfortunately i didn't win on Friday nights drawing.

Take your lucky car when you buy that lottery ticket. To bad you didn't buy a ticket in every state you went through, ka ching.:rofl:

I know, i bought 3 the other night in Wyoming but i guess i should have bought them in every state.

A past boss of mine lived in Joseph.. I heard the Californians turned the place into some sort of artsy place for Bronze castings??

Small world! Yeah, they have several bronze galleries in Joseph and a few bronze foundries that cater mostly to tourists in the summer. It's such a small place i probably know your old boss!

Dude.

Im so envious you did it.
Its a memory you will have till the day you die.
Enjoy it for a very very long time. I would.

I bought a car back last fall. Gave some serious thought to fly back and drive it home. Similar range of about 2000 miles. Simply so i could say i did it. But the value and rarity of mine. I just couldnt do it.

Sadly i decided to just have it shipped.
I dont think i could have slept a wink on the trip...regardless of where i tried to lay my head down. Be it in a hotel or the backseat.
Not to mention under 10 mpgs and requires 100 plus octane kind of made my decision for me.

So i will say.
I envy you ....bigtime.
Congrats

Found possible engine misfiring/sputtering cause. I haven't done any work on it yet because i'm trying to get caught up with other things but i did pull and reconnect the plug wires just to make sure they were snapped on good. When i pulled the wire out of the coil it was dripping with oil. I'm assuming that's not a good thing and the coil is probably toast. I'll get another one ordered and post the results before throwing on a set of new points, pulling the carb, etc.

I followed this thread from the beginning. Great story you will remember for the rest of your life. Get that baby fixed up and drive it back across country again to the Nats or Carlyle sometime with the family. Anybody on here would help you in a heartbeat if you had trouble as you saw from this trip. Mopar guys are a breed of their own, welcome to the club.

I followed this thread from the beginning. Great story you will remember for the rest of your life. Get that baby fixed up and drive it back across country again to the Nats or Carlyle sometime with the family. Anybody on here would help you in a heartbeat if you had trouble as you saw from this trip. Mopar guys are a breed of their own, welcome to the club.

Thanks! I would love to do something like Carlyle and maybe caravan with a couple other Mopar guys from the west coast. That would be a real trip! The people here really are great and so helpful.

Late joining in, as I just found this thread. I too made a 2000+ mile trip in a classic Mopar. Though my car was only 18 years old at the time. I drove my 1971 Challenger from Norfolk, VA to Prescott, AZ in June 1989. Like you, I made the trip alone. I was relocating from Virginia to Arizona. The Challenger was my only car at that time and for many years after.

I had already owned the car for three years prior to making the journey, so hadn’t just bought it like yours, and it wasn’t 52 years old then either!

My trip took 5 days and 5 nights, though I stayed in motels overnight. I had a mysterious vacuum leak occur during day two of the journey. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to completely fix it until I arrived in Arizona. If it weren’t for the vacuum leak problem I could’ve made the journey in 4 days and 4 nights. That second day I only made it from Knoxville to Nashville Tennessee. Spent a fair share of the day at a Dodge dealership, in Nashville, trying to get some help with the vacuum leak. Other than that, I had no problems with the car.

I was 21 when I made my cross country journey. That was my first and only cross country drive. I’ve been in Arizona ever since except for one year in California..

Congrats on completing your journey! It is something you will always remember..

2FB5445F-BF08-43A9-9CCD-9D23EE475532.jpeg 76125C92-62F4-4C55-B856-779D3AC4CB03.jpeg

I have had that stall issue before, on a 318 Duster I was driving 60 mi one way to work, it was slack in timing chain. But it could be a number of things!
I say throw a celebration BBQ and invite us all over!

Speaking of that, there is one very weak link if that engine has never been opened up.

if it has the original timing gears/chain, the cam gear is coated in nylon.

do not push that engine if it could still have that

if the timing set has been replaced then it doesn’t and it’s not a concern

The nylon teeth break off and the chain can jump, and destroy the valves and pistons.

it’s what took mine off the road in the early 90s

Got lucky though and just had some nicked pistons

Auto Transport Service
Back